Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What I mean is that the limen isn't the same thing that a threshold is since it includes more than what a threshold includes. It's like saying that 'feet' is a good translation of a word meaning 'hands and feet.' You can pass under the top part of a limen or over the bottom part but you can't pass under a threshold.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Faldage has a liminal point.

I vote for that word.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can pass under the top part of a limen or over the bottom part but you can't pass under a threshold.

You can specify limen superum 'lintel' or limen inferum 'sill, threshold' (literally, upper and lower threshold), but I see what you mean. Latin limen is not a good translation of the English scientific metaphorical notion of 'threshold', just the door jamb bits.

It's like saying that 'feet' is a good translation of a word meaning 'hands and feet.'

So, you're saying that 'finger' is not a good translation of Latin digitus, because that word can also mean 'toes', and even 'inch'? I often thought that translation is impassable.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

So, you're saying that 'finger' is not a good translation of Latin digitus, because that word can also mean 'toes', and even 'inch'? I often thought that translation is impassable.

Certainly context is our friend and if it is clear that the context supports a translation of finger for digitus the finger it is. On the other hand, using the fact that limen can mean the upper part of a door frame is no argument for using threshold as a word for a lower limit that must be gotten under to proceed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On the other hand, using the fact that limen can mean the upper part of a door frame is no argument for using threshold as a word for a lower limit that must be gotten under to proceed.

I made no such argument, and I'm sorry I expressed myself so poorly that you believed that I did. That being said, I have no problem with using threshold to mean 'lower limit'. I see a threshold as being a threshold no matter whether you enter the house over it or exit the house over it. I see it as a sort of terminus both ante quem and post quem.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess it was just your pointing out that the Latin word could refer to both the upper and lower parts of the door frame that got me off on my gripe.

C
stranger
stranger
C
traverse?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Contravened? Undershot?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Undershot?

I *like* that!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
undershot gives me the impression of never quite reaching the lower threshold, as opposed to falling below that threshold.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith