Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
#19254 03/04/01 08:53 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Of Annastrophe, pray tell me more, for of her role, I canna ken. Am I meant to ken?

Some do ken and canna ken,
Some can ken that want it:
But we can ken ma old dear hen,
Sae let great Burns be thankit.

Decode this and destroy on receipt, we would not like to get it into the wrong hands!

#19255 03/04/01 12:27 PM
In reply to:

but the pale refers specifically to the wall about Dublin...a few years past 1000... that keep the irish out of dublin

Helen - a note on "the pale" - it also refers to that area of "Russia" where the Jews were forced to live during the reign of, let's see, I'm supposed to know this... here, after a bit of quick research on my bookshelves, I have found this:
After the partition of Poland, the Jews of Russia consituted the largest Jewish community in the world. Their legal situation during the nineteenth century was entirely subject to the capreciousness of the czarist regime. A tradionalist czar like Nicholas I, who wanted toconfine the Jews to The Pale of Settlement, interpreted "integration" as "conversion." emphasis mine
---from A Historical Atlas of the Jewish People edited by Eli Barnavi (Shocken Books, NY 1992).

And I have a map of the area, so if anyone would like to see it, I can scan and send it - btw, is there anyway to include a small (or large) image in either a posting OR in a private message (sent via the board)???

I suppose that the 'idea' of creating 'The Pale of Settlement' came from what happened in Ireland! So, once again, we see that there is nothing new under the SUN!

Sorry if I interjected toooooooo much history into this posting, but once again, since I'm a tour guide with no tourists to guide, I feel the need to 'practice' and you guys get the 'benefit'[I-can-see-that-you-are-thrilled emoticon]...

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#19256 03/04/01 12:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[from the wings she watches]

#19257 03/04/01 04:27 PM
In reply to:

AnnaStrophic: from the wings she watches

You are toooooo funny! And what an amazing cast we are, don'tchaknow - why if we had a barn, we could put on a... tum tum te dum.... SHOW!

Shoshannah
just to show that she does have a sense of humor amidst all the craziness of this world [trying-to-get-beyond-being-a-stranger-emoticon]

#19258 03/04/01 05:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>from the wings she watches

this is the kind of stuff we should have put in profiles...

-joe friday
jack of small trades & master of one
and procurator of the geek chorus

#19259 03/04/01 06:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Shoshannah asked btw, is there anyway to include a small (or large) image in either a posting OR in a private message (sent via the board)???

If you go to http://www.myspace.com and login as maxquordlepleen, password Crescent, you can upload anything you think may be of interest to Board members into the folder named AWADabilia. The site may be down from time to time, I am currently evaluating other web storage sites to see if they are easier to use and more reliable.

Salaam

#19260 03/04/01 07:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and, if it's an addressable (HREF'd) image or audio file stored on another site, you can link to it from here with the [ url] tags like this:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/latin1.gif

#19261 03/04/01 07:42 PM
Max - thanks for the info on adding images (and you, too, tsuwm) - actually, I read about your AWADabilia site but I haven't yet had a chance to go there for a look! But I will...

Max - only one quick note - you ended with "Salaam" but com-o-van (of course) you do know that my language here in ISRAEL is e-vrit (HEBREW) - so the word I use is Shalom!

Shoshannah
she said with elbows bent at her side, palms up and slightly extended while shrugging her shoulders and making that irritating little 'tsk tsk' sound with her ... !!

#19262 03/04/01 07:58 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Max - only one quick note - you ended with "Salaam" but com-o-van (of course) you do know that my language here in ISRAEL is e-vrit (HEBREW) - so the word I use is Shalom!

Indeed, and I do hope that I gave no offence by using a greeting in the other official language of Medinat Yisra'el.
Actually, I use salaam for the same reasons I use namaste. It sounds nice, and it's a link to my father's birthplace. He grew up in what is now Pakistan, and salaam was, and is, an everyday greeting in that part of world.

Noho ora mai

#19263 03/04/01 08:18 PM
In reply to:

I do hope that I gave no offence by using a greeting in the other official language of Medinat Yisra'el.

Max - no offence taken - only, just now, I'm afraid it's very hard to stay interested in learning or speaking any Arabic - the more bombs they detonate against us or the more shooting at us (with AK-47s, I might add) or throwing stones (and believe me, these are not pebbles, rather they are large jagged pieces of hard limestone - remember that stoning used to be a regular form of execution here... and is quickly becoming so again, it seems)... killing people who are just trying to go about regular daily lives... killing people who are NOT in conflict with them, except in their minds, just by our existence..., they more I simply stop trying to get along. [please excuse my rambling emoticon]

Well, that's not exactly true - I'm always interested in getting along with those who are different, but I want them to respect me in the same way that I am supposed to respect them, and unfortunately, it seems that it just doesn't work that way.

It all just makes me tired... [heavy sigh emoticon]

Shoshannah

Oh, and thanks for writing the name of the State of Israel in correctly transliterated Hebrew! Not many understand the word Yisra'el, so it's nice to meet someone who does!

Whoops - now I show my ignorance - what is Noho ora mai????

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith