Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
#19264 03/04/01 08:38 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
what is Noho ora mai?

It is the closing salutation used on NZ's Maori language TV news bulletin, and expresses a sentiment very similar to shalom aleichem. "Noho" means "continue" or "remain", "ora" means "health, well-being,peace", and "mai" is a preposition meaning "toward". Perhaps the best English equivalents are themselves translations from the Vulcan: "Live long and prosper", "peace and long life".

#19265 03/04/01 08:50 PM
In reply to:

Perhaps the best English equivalents are themselves translations from the Vulcan: "Live long and prosper", "peace and long life".

Which hand signal is from the Kabballah - the mystical side of Judaism - and can be seen in paintings and images in some of the very old synagogues in S'fat (up in the Galil).

BTW - I understand there is something very significant about a person that can actually make this hand signal without any effort - and it happens that I am one of them, so I hope the significance is good!

Whaddyathink?

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#19266 03/04/01 08:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
BTW - I understand there is something very significant about a person that can actually make this hand signal without any effort

Really? I have never been able to understand how anybody could have trouble with the gesture. Even with my functionally impaired right hand, it's not that hard, with my left, it's almost autonomic.

#19267 03/04/01 09:18 PM
In reply to:

I have never been able to understand how anybody could have trouble with the gesture.

Me neither - but others have told me they can NOT do it!

Actually, the reason you nor I have trouble doing this is because we were born with the correct gene - probably something inherited from the Vulcans who originally inhabited this planet (and, of course, taught it to the Kabbalists which is how Leonard Nimoy learned it - when he was researching ancient Vulcan culture in preparing for his role...) and may be watching us even now as we go about our daily lives or take too much time out of it to post messages to this board!

Ya know - the Vulcans actually liked living here, but then they decided to import Tribbles to be their pets and, well, the rest is history, as they say (sort of like what kudzu did to the roadsides of the southern USA).

And, now that I've passed from being a stranger to being a newbie (b'hatz-la-chah to me), I can say, with a clear conscience and a good feeling way deep down inside... Lila tov and see you all on the 'morrow!

Shoshannah

#19268 03/06/01 04:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Really? I have never been able to understand how anybody could have trouble with the gesture. Even with my functionally impaired right hand, it's not that hard, with my left, it's almost autonomic.

Well, I can do the Vulcan greeting gesture with my right hand, but if I try with my left hand all it produces is a trembling in my little and ring fingers. My left hand doesn't seem to be otherwise impaired.

Bingley

Bingley
#19269 03/06/01 05:37 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I can make the Vulcan "sign" with both hands, equally well {puffed with pride icon soon to be deflated she fears}
Did you know that Captain Kirk could not make the sign and when it was necessary he do so for the plot they had to tie the fingers to each other?
Must be genetic, like being able to curl the edges of the tongue while sticking it out!
{prepared for onslaught she slinks away}
wow

#19270 03/06/01 08:29 PM
In reply to:

I can make the Vulcan "sign" with both hands, equally well {puffed with pride icon soon to be deflated she fears}
Did you know that Captain Kirk could not make the sign and when it was necessary he do so for the plot they had to tie the fingers to each other?
Must be genetic, like being able to curl the edges of the tongue while sticking it out!
{prepared for onslaught she slinks away}

Okay - if you're slinking, so am I 'cause I can do the Vulcan sign with both hands WHILE curling the edges of my tongue when sticking it out... there must be a word for this condition??????

I did not know that about Captain Kirk - well, I knew he couldn't actually make the sign himself, but I didn't realize they had to tie his fingers together... In this day, they'd simply superimpose someone else's hand onto the picture using computer imagery... oooh, that was interesting [yawning as she tries to find the send button emoticon]

Shoshannah

#19271 03/06/01 08:47 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Okay - if you're slinking, so am I 'cause I can do the Vulcan sign with both hands WHILE curling the edges of my tongue when sticking it out... there must be a word for this condition??????

The two functions must be common together, as I am also able to make the Vulcan gesture with both hands while poking out my curled tongue. It seems curious that almost the only thing I can do with my righ hand is make a gesture of salutation and peace. Curious, yet apt.

#19272 03/06/01 09:18 PM
old hand
old hand
>Okay - if you're slinking, so am I 'cause I can do the Vulcan sign with both hands WHILE curling the edges of my tongue when sticking it out... there must be a word for this condition??????

Well, the way I see it, the world is made up of the Vul-cans and the Vul-can'ts ~ [unrelenting need to make the puns that are too cheap for TEd to touch emoticon]

#19273 03/06/01 09:37 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And let us hope none of those signs are Vul-gar.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith