About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
herein are the results of the voting for underfong, with the perps in brackets and the marks listed following. some additional comments:
- first, doc_comfort will be disappointed to find that under- here pretty much just means under, as in undertake
- second, note that these are the original offerings, before normalization
- f) and i) were a little sketchy; this must be why they received no votes. or either because belM tagged them in the very first post. :-p~
- a last minute vote for Faldage (plus one from his SO) gave him the win with 3 votes, thus thwarting the effort of Luke, one of our rooks (who also had 3 votes, but one was an own-vote)
- the belly side? sketchy, bel, sketchy
- kudos (and this lovely internet artifact) go to twosleepy and doc_comfort for sussing out the real def’n (or having the temerity to LIU 8 )

a) An organ stop which produces a low, somewhat diffuse tone, intended to invoke mystery and/or trepidation. From OHG unter, under, and fong, fog. [twosleepy]
b) A layer of protective material worn under battle armour [olly] beck123
c) A very scanty garment, worn under boxer shorts when da' homeboyz be saggin' [beck123]
d) to take in hand; to ensnare; to sustain [fr. G. fangen, to seize] {Webster’s Revised Unabr.} twosleepy, doc_comfort
e) the belly side of a sea anemone [LukeJavan8] BranShea, Luke, belM,
f) to remove the canine teeth from a German fox in order to keep it as a pet [Fr Steve]
g) The lowest strut on the chassis of an 18th century British two-horse carriage [Faldage] Buffy, Asp, Father Steve
h) A thick Mongolian blanket made of felt [belMarduk] Faldage
i) the ancient language of the Fung people of the Blue Nile in the Sudan [tsuwm]
j) (chiefly Aus.) An orthotic device for casual footwear [doc_comfort] olly
k) an undergarment usually worn under the creations of fashion designer Fong Leng, successful designer of baroque outfits since the 1970-80's [BranShea]

the hogmaster™
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: hogmaster
herein are the results of the voting for underfong, with the perps in brackets and the marks listed following. some additional comments:
- first, doc_comfort will be disappointed to find that under- here pretty much just means under, as in undertake
- second, note that these are the original offerings, before normalization
- f) and i) were a little sketchy; this must be why they received no votes. or either because belM tagged them in the very first post. :-p~
-
Ha! Here they are. Congrats for the winner and the losers and thanks stuwm for the round. As a painter I chose to be sketchy so as to pay tribute to the crazy creations of Fong Leng. I was charmed by the sea anemone who as far as I know has no particular side at all. I hesitated over twosleepy's organic def. which looks quite plausible. THIS still is my favorite GAME!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there must be some sort of down-under attraction inherent to j) (composed by an Aussie, voted for by a Kiwi : )

old hand
old hand
So, should I feel happy or sad? Oh no! How to feel?!?

To be honest, I was stumped for an entry, and starting thinking about music with all its terms either in other languages or derived from such. Organ stops have some very interesting names! I have no idea what German for fog is, though, and was hoping no one else did, either. Obviously it wasn't that good of a fake, or someone would have voted for it.

In picking D, I thought it seemed one of the least likely, and therefore was probably correct. At least that worked out for me!

Thanks to the Maestro Porcino for a real hair-puller! :0)

PS What is "LIU 8"?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T'was fun!

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What is "LIU 8"?

I believe that's LIU with an emo: 8 ), you of the :0) should have recognized that! *<8O)

as to LIU, see link

old hand
old hand

there must be some sort of down-under attraction inherent to j)
The same twisted sense of humour.

old hand
old hand
So I WAS being accused of cheating! Just checking.... ;0)

PS I didn't even check after the voting was done; I waited until the results were posted...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>So I WAS being accused of cheating!

there's just no way of knowing that, is there. that's why, perforce, we play this game on the honor system.

eons ago, we had a regular player who almost always got the correct def'n. it went well beyond the realm of chance, and was one of the reasons we (or at least I) stopped scoring the game (we had a running score going at the time). it seems much less likely to happen when the points don't matter. in the home version, with everyone sitting around a table, it's very hard to cheat. ; )

in determining the "winner" of a single game, I only use IDing the real def'n as a potential tiebreaker.

Last edited by tsuwm; 04/19/10 01:19 AM.
H
OP Offline
H
it just so happens that I've stumbled upon an even idealer(!) hogwash candidate, which I'll post soonest, without objections.

the hogmaster™
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 340 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith