Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
tsuwm #189948 03/15/10 01:37 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Breaking away from the sports example above: Can periphrastic sentences be considered beautiful in a wild untended sort of manner?

tsuwm #189949 03/15/10 01:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>ramfeezle got picked up by my spellcheck, but not farshimalt.

my spellcheck (and that used here at AWAD) chokes on 'spellcheck'.

heh

formerly known as etaoin...
Avy #189951 03/15/10 02:29 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted By: Avy
Breaking away from the sports example above: Can periphrastic sentences be considered beautiful in a wild untended sort of manner?

I think they're quite beautiful. By sacrificing the simplicity of the basic verb constructions (which simplicity has a beauty of its own, related to its economy,) periphrasis adds convolutions, which - when used judiciously - are able to 1) add complexity and texture for those who appreciate such things, and 2) express subtleties of thought and expression that may be lost with simpler constructions.

As a fluent speaker of English, I still have to pause occasionally when assembling a periphrastic phrase in the course of speaking. The innumerable options periphrasis affords (as evinced by this thread) enrich and beautify our language, in my opinion.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
the forms 'more beautiful' and 'most beautiful' are (at a minimum) periphrastic. : )

tsuwm #189954 03/15/10 03:42 AM
addict
addict
We'll have to use them once in a while :-)

Last edited by beck123; 03/15/10 03:44 AM.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: beck123

I think they're quite beautiful. By sacrificing the simplicity of the basic verb constructions (which simplicity has a beauty of its own, related to its economy,) periphrasis adds convolutions, which - when used judiciously - are able to 1) add complexity and texture for those who appreciate such things, and 2) express subtleties of thought and expression that may be lost with simpler constructions.

I could not have put this better, but I am looking for help to answer a simple question should I use a longer sentence if I want to do away with the severity that brevity imposes at the cost of everything beautiful that brevity has to offer? Also will it be correct to generalise that brevity is of the intellect and wordiness is of the senses? Would that mean haiku works a dyptich of brevity and sensuousness? (3 questions. The first is most important for me. Thanks for your thoughts on this.)

Last edited by Avy; 03/15/10 03:55 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
English got rid of its cases and so did all the Romance languages, but the Slavic languages held on tight to theirs.

I guess it depends on your definition of 'case'. Equating 'case' with the grammatical markers used to indicate case makes for some strange combinations. In Latin, for example, in first declension genitive and dative singular are the same case and in second declension dative and ablative singular are the same case. I would prefer to think of case as the actual relation a noun has with other elements in a sentence.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it depends on your definition of 'case'. Equating 'case' with the grammatical markers used to indicate case makes for some strange combinations.

Most linguists these days go for a bit of both: overt grammatical markings (the surface morphology of case) and the function (the syntax of words and the function of case.

In Latin, for example, in first declension genitive and dative singular are the same case and in second declension dative and ablative singular are the same case.

That's not how the Romans or today's grammarians would have analysed it. They distinguished case from case-endings (or other kinds of overt markers). Even the Indian grammarians of Sanskrit, who came from an entirely different tradition, separated case-endings from case. They also divided the cases into a myriad of functions, e.g., the genitive of possession and the partitive genitive. While the names given to cases are essentially arbitrary--in fact, the Sanskrit grammarians just numbered their cases, first through seventh--they are convenient tags to discuss the various phenomena of case.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>use them both

irregular periphrastic adjectives, non-beautiful subdivision
more furshlugginer .. most furshlugginer

tsuwm #189968 03/15/10 07:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It isn't fursluggishness but I'm still trying to get behind periphrastic and following the indications of the American Heritage I went from periphrastic via periphrasis to
cir·cum·lo·cu·tion

The use of unnecessarily wordy and indirect language.
Evasion in speech or writing.
A roundabout expression. (and now I vaguely have an impression of where this case leaded to) smile

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith