Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
addict
addict
I think we all (I included) are confusing the waveforms of spoken language with the chart of neuroelectrical impulses made by the muscles that operate the vocal tract. The latter is what this technology is recording, and where would the databases be for these? In all languages? More, after I read the article.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
beck123 #189693 03/03/10 07:02 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Dangerous stuff this. Technology that terrifies or could terrify.

Avy #189700 03/03/10 11:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Combine writing in invisable ink with soundless speaking. Cheerful.

beck123 #189705 03/03/10 12:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the chart of neuroelectrical impulses made by the muscles that operate the vocal tract

Phonetics is divided readily into two branches, the acoustic and the articulatory. The former having to do with the acoustic features of language sounds and the latter with the production of those. When I was at university, the equipment necessary for making spectrograms was huge and expensive. These days, one can download any of a number of software applications, hook up a microphone to the computer, and make them. In humans, phonetic sounds are made with the vocal tract and processed by the cochlea in in the ear. I have not seen the charts mentioned in the news story linked to above, but I cannot but imagine that they look nothing like spectrograms of the same speech. Now whether the two sets of data could be compared and one identified from the other is within the realm of possibility.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
beck123 #189706 03/03/10 03:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: beck123
I think we all (I included) are confusing the waveforms of spoken language with the chart of neuroelectrical impulses made by the muscles that operate the vocal tract. The latter is what this technology is recording, and where would the databases be for these? In all languages? More, after I read the article.

my bad. I would use spoken language waveforms in my little database/comparison gizmo.

formerly known as etaoin...
BranShea #189707 03/03/10 04:49 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted By: BranShea
But any anyone who travels and who really loves languages; the first thing he/she does in foreign countries is try to get at it, if he/she hasn't already taken courses in advance.
I am moderately interested in languages. My first experience with Dutch was a disaster.
Then why Esperanto if you can go at it directly?
All my contacts do not speak the same language. In multinational fora, it's convenient to use one language instead of having to translate everything in several. Many choose English or Esperanto. I chose English and Esperanto, in which I feel more comfortable.
EU is not against Esperanto
see http://forums.ec.europa.eu/multilingualism/ and other Figel's interventions.
I don't believe in an English speaking elite.
So you believe in Globish-speaking masses. Globish is the down-graded version of English.
English is the easiest language to learn for Europeans because it has dropped a number of otherwise tackling grammar issues. Every (even low level) school obliges English.
I own a pile of grammar books in English. Actually none has the title "grammar book", even if they all attempt to describe some features of the language.
I don't know how the language situation in Belgium is now. We had to learn English, French and German up to a serious level.
English is the language of choice. French is declining North. Dutch is better accepted South. German is on the decline everywhere. The level obtained after 6 years of studying English is still not satisfactory. One will have to start sooner.
I assume you speak French, Flemish, obviously English and Esperanto. Any other language that has you special interest?
I want to be fluent in Polish by the end of the year. I probably will spend some time on Chinese next year, but there is no hurry: I just want to be able to help my grandchildren when they'll be looking for a job :-)

Remuŝ

beck123 #189709 03/03/10 07:51 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted By: beck123
I don't really see where there was ever a language imposed on the entire British Isles.

England’s domination over Wales, Scotland, and Ireland introduced the English language to these regions, but with the devastating consequence of the downfall of the local languages. Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Scots, and Irish (among others) were all prohibited in education at one time or another, which possibly contributed the most to the plummeting usage of the languages. In Wales, the Welsh Not (a piece of wood with the carved letters “WN” that was hung around the children’s necks) was used in the 1800s to punish students for speaking Welsh, and beating students for using non-English languages was common throughout all of the countries. Welsh, Scots Gaelic, and Irish had inferior status to English, whereas Scots wasn’t even recognized as a separate language, and all suffered as a result. It wasn’t until the 20th century that the British government started taking steps to protect these languages, which has been met with mixed success. In all of the countries the local languages are now spoken by a minority, and are still very much secondary to English.

About other cases of modern linguistic genocide, see http://listverse.com/2010/02/26/10-modern-cases-of-linguistic-genocide/

Remuŝ

Remush #189710 03/03/10 07:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Me: I don't believe in an English speaking elite.
You: So you believe in Globish-speaking masses. Globish is the down-graded version of English.

I did tell you what I don't believe in, not what I do believe in. I've read the article and do agree with the writer:

Quote:
"The multilingualism of the European Union is defined within clear limits by Community law. A language can become an official language of the EU if it meets three conditions: it has to be an official language of a Member State, stated by its Constitution; the Member State in question requests its recognition as an official language at the EU level; the other Member States approve this unanimously.
This is one of the reasons that Esperanto cannot become the lingua franca of the European Union.
The second reason has to do with its specificity. A language like Esperanto has little social or cultural practice connected to its
vocabulary. The practical and financial implications of creating entire domains ex novo in an artificial language are immense. Think only of customs codes or banking legislation or the technical requirements for pressure vessels of simple geometric form sometimes known as brake cylinders.
The third reason is a more personal one: I do not believe in a lingua franca, be it Esperanto, Latin or English. On the other hand, lingua franca is, historically, a spontaneous social linguistic phenomenon and is not the result of any legislative or political decision. Probably some Esperantists on this forum do not agree with my position, but I believe we need to share our views (I found some of the arguments very interesting, although I did not agree with some of them)."

This does not say Europe is against Esperanto, only that it cannot accept it as an official language. The reasons seem valid,to me.

Learning languages besides fun is useful for work and socializing. But there is enough work to be done that needs no special language studies.

Nice to learn Polish. Enjoy! But.. what if your grandchildren will not be the studying types?

( I always assumed Belgians learn both French ànd Flemish-Dutch in school. See how much we know about are next door neighbours smile )

Last edited by BranShea; 03/03/10 07:56 PM.
Remush #189713 03/03/10 10:29 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted By: Remush
I probably will spend some time on Chinese next year, but there is no hurry: I just want to be able to help my grandchildren when they'll be looking for a job

I understand Chinese is very difficult for one to learn well if one is not exposed to it at a very early age (less than 18 months.) Something about certain consonant sounds becoming indistinguishable to the unprimed ear after that stage of development. I recall years ago reading about a very clever study that demonstrated this effect using children of European ancestry and a Native American language, not Chinese. I also experienced this with Polish. My wife would say a simple word in Polish, and I would try - repeatedly and unsuccessfully - to reproduce the word. I could hear no difference, but she could. Yet, with languages I heard as a child - German, Yiddish, Spanish - I'm told I speak with no noticeable accent.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
beck123 #189714 03/03/10 11:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I understand Chinese is very difficult for one to learn well if one is not exposed to it at a very early age (less than 18 months.

That's pretty much true of all languages. It is pretty hard to reach accentless perfection if you learn the language as a secon language, say past about 5 or 7 years of age.

I also experienced this with Polish. My wife would say a simple word in Polish, and I would try - repeatedly and unsuccessfully - to reproduce the word.

It's interesting because the two sets of sounds (in Mandarin and Polish) are similar. The difference between alveolar, retroflex, and alveolar-palatal affricates and fricatives /s/, /ʂ/, /ts/, /tsʰ/. /tʂ/, /tʂʰ/, /tɕ/, /tɕʰ/ in Mandarin Chinese; in Polish, the difference between dental-alveolar, retroflex, and palatal affricates and fricatives /t͡s/, /d͡z/, /͡ʂ̠/, /d͡ʐ̠/, /t͡ɕ/, /d͡ʑ/. It's nothijng mysterious. Most non-native speakers have difficulty hearing and producing phonemes that fall outside of their native language's inventory. (It's interesting, most people complain about tones when learning Chinese.) when I was trying to learn Mandarin, I would practice with a Chinese friend, who was a native Cantonese speaker, and even I could recognize that he had a string Cantonese accent when speaking Mandarin. In isolation, one word at a time, say in a vocabulary list, it could cause confusion, but in context it's not as bad as getting the tones wrong. Some people just have a knack for mimicking sounds. Others don't. I still have a tough time hearing and producing the voiced and voiceless, aspirated and non-aspirated series of consonants in Sanskrit and Hindi: e.g., p, ph, b, bh, etc. Funny thing is I have some Indian friends who speak Tamil, and they have the same problem, though their Hindi is much better than mine. In the end, if you learn a language as an adult, you'll probably have trouble with phonology and syntax, although maybe one more than the other.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith