Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Maedin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
On 16 February, the AWAD newsletter was sent for the word "Star Chamber", and included a picture of the Palace of Westminster at night. The photograph has been wrongly attributed to Trodel. The photograph was actually taken by David Iliff, who licenses his photography quite freely and uploads to Wikipedia, for the purpose of illustrating articles. The terms of the license explicitly state that credit to the photographer must be given.

I contacted AWAD 12 hours ago regarding this and asked for a correction to be made. Whether or not it will happen remains to be seen, though 12+ hours to comply with a licence seems like a long time to me. It is disappointing that, even though Trodel openly and obviously stated who the author of the photo is and gave the original source, AWAD got it wrong.

I enjoy AWAD but am disappointed by this oversight.

Regards,
Maedin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome, Maedin.

it's too bad the photo was mistakenly attributed, though I could see how it might happen, especially if it was used from Trodel's Flickr site. someone unfamiliar with Flickr might not expect to find a picture from a different photographer on a Flickr page. It looks to me that Mr./Ms. Trodel, whomever she/he may be, doesn't take pictures, but rather collects albums of pictures he/she likes.

But what most intrigues me is that you think 12 hours "seems like a long time" to make a change. in our seemingly "instant" age of the 21st Century, we have come to expect things to happen when we ask for them, and "now" isn't fast enough. perhaps Mr. Garg is taking a trip somewhere, or is ill, or any number of things could be imagined that would prevent him from being able to attend to the change.

the world needs to take a deep breath.

formerly known as etaoin...
M
Maedin Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thank you for the welcome, Buffalo.

Certainly a fair point, though I had (wrongly?) assumed that AWAD was more than a one-man affair, and that others would be looking after emails.

I apologise if I was too hasty in making my comments.

*deep breath* :-)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that AWAD is pretty much just Anu Garg, though perhaps he has some help with technical details around the website, etc. and I would guess with a half-million followers, he gets a lot of email every day!

I, too, find myself expecting things much more quickly that I used to, and recently read an article (online, of course!) about relief efforts in Haiti, and people were upset with how slowly things seemed to be moving. we know how quickly things happen online, and haven't yet grasped that virtual reality is able to move at a much higher rate than real-life. we can donate instantly, but why can't that boat of supplies be there yesterday, too?

what an interesting time we have chosen to live in!

I hope you stick around, there's lots of good words to be found here. and I'll join you in that deep breath.

:¬ )

old hand
old hand
Nice Pic Buff. Special occasion?

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
I can understand Maedin's reaction. When your work is 'taken over' by someone, it is cataclysmic. Yesterday is too late for a redressal. It should have never happened at all.
In this internet age copy right protect is exhausting. One either has to eat more to find the energy to run behind your work, or one gives up entirely on it turning paranoid and from then on keeping future creations under double lock and key where they turn stale and old for the lack of air.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Better to give up copyright entirely if you want to publish.
Unless you find out someone is making big money with your stuff.
Which is unlikely when your stuff does not make great amounts of cash for yourself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: olly
Nice Pic Buff. Special occasion?

dress-up day at school!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Certainly post-Mardi Gras, but in style for Ash Wednesday??

----please, draw me a sheep----
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Which is unlikely when your stuff does not make great amounts of cash for yourself.

This is one of those replies when I sorely miss a phone that can smile.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith