Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#188913 01/25/10 11:13 AM
R
OP Offline
R
First of all, gotta be pedantic here and point out that the plural of Lego is....Lego. Not "Legos". It is a collective conceptual noun, a brandname for a type of toy. In the same way that one does not use "Scrabbles" for a series of Scrabble games or a collection of Scrabble letter tiles. But sure, one can say "Lego bricks" or "Lego pieces" if one wants to convey the sense of plurality, which is what I think Anu was trying to do.

Anyway, I rose to this week's fascinating challenge and instantly came up with this word: "Theopoly - the selling of God". A very prevalant practice around the world, particulary in the environs of religious shrines, and on American TV.

But imagine my chagrin when I then googled theopoly, only to find that the word was already out there! But with a different meaning: it's been proposed as a religious spoof of the Monopoly game.

T
TWF Offline
stranger
stranger
T
Heliodactyl: twinkle toes

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: RayButler
First of all, gotta be pedantic here and point out that the plural of Lego is....Lego. Not "Legos".

Maan! I knew someone was gonna do that! No one listens to the Red Queen.

Meanwhile I came up with theodactyl to describe the focal point of Michelangelo's Creation fo Adam.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A dictiordinary word: heliography

R
stranger
stranger
R
Ray, pedantic or not "Legos" is in common usage these days; just ask any kid. smile

I thought I had a good word in hagiogony ("the origin of saints"), but I found it was already used when I Googled it and found it in the Biobliotecha Indica:

"There is, clearly, no countenance, in the analogy of the Hindu hagiogony, for the else plausible surmise, that a complete history of the mdnasa sons of Brahma, might, if recoverable, possibly go to show that the term by which they are known, may originally have borne a less mystical signification than that of mind-born. Its intention could never have been to discriminate the literate portion of the Brahmanidae from their less learned kinsmen." Bibliotecha Indica, page 16, from Google.

I wonder if I could get away with oligotheolotry (worship of a few gods). Any thoughts?

Robert

Robert H. Woodman
Columbus, Ohio
L
stranger
stranger
L
heliodactyl-n-sunbeams that reach out and massage your skin on a warm day.

R
stranger
stranger
R
How about "Heliotheodactylatry", literally, worshipping the fingers of the sun god: loving those little stripes of light that sneak between the clouds on a bright day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: RossBracco
How about "Heliotheodactylatry", literally, worshipping the fingers of the sun god: loving those little stripes of light that sneak between the clouds on a bright day.

I love crepuscular rays!

welcome everyone!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about hagiodactylopoly and the subsequent hagiodactylolatry?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Drinking water is now sold everywhere in bottles. Before long we will see heliopoly -- the selling of the sun. Oh, wait -- I guess that's what Florida vacations are.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith