Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#188387 12/21/09 02:59 PM
R
rishi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R

Help! What is the word for a living organism that can survive only within very narrow environmental parameters?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Unless ri you've already been there, if you're very patient you might find it here:

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=survival+requires+specific+environment

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, this is the sort of thing I meant when I stated that I see this kind of 'link' in many of your posts; i.e., whenever you insert one of these reverse dictionary things it never gets changed to a hot link. again, you need to follow the process that eta has given you.

and no, I don't know why a *second link automagically gets transposed for you.

but let's try something else to get you off your dime. when you reply to a post, you should be seeing a post [entry] box with a row of icons along the top of it. if you click on the the second icon, the one right next to the *smiley* [it's labeled Create a link to a webpage], you get an entry area for pasting your URL - you should paste it in right over the highlighted text [not next to it, you need to replace what's already there!]. then, when you click the OK button, you get another entry area where you can give your link a name (what eta called "something", but you can call it *anything*.
and now, when you click OK, you can finish editing your post, click the Submit button down at the bottom, and your link will automagically appear, in your post, as a hot link labeled "whatever you named it above".

-joe (I don't suppose this helped at all) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you referring to animals like the Pompeii worm that inhabit extreme ecological niches? It could be the word you're looking for is extremophile. If you peruse the Wikpedia article, you'll find many sub-categorizations of extremophiles.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
extremophile Wow, what a cool word! Thanks, rishi for asking and zmjezhd for answering! Extremophile...lovely-tasting word.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That whole article is pretty cool. Many good looking words for the different types of extremophiles and the part about astrobiology. Is there a word for someone who loves extremophiles?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Extremophilephile? wink

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jajaja, and what do you become when you fall in love with an Extremophilephile?
merry Xmas Jackie.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Ok tsu you're absolutely right and so for Jackie

[url=Jackie]Wordsmith Talk[/url] [url=For Jackie][/url] http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=survival+requires+specific+environment

Well as you can see tsu it didn't work. After I entered "For Jackie," I got a new request, something I hadn't encountered before:

Now enter the title of the webpage you are linking to.

I have not the foggiest notiion what a Web Page Title is so I entered the title of this web page, namely "Wordsmith Talk," but that app[arently didnt do the trick either

The entire operation is getting too complex for an old fart like me. If you have any power whatever with Admin and if it's within their purview, you might suggest that if possible when the software is next updated it include a means as I had noted earlier as in other boards of this sort to recognize a url and autmatically adapt it to link form. But again thank you for your patience

Incidentally the url mess reminds me strongly of the "[/Quote]" turmoil I complained hereabout in which I lamented the problem of distinguishing one's reply from a quotation, especially with the quote within a quote within another

..whereupon a helpful contributor posted a 3000-word rundown on the use of this board feature. Though I'm sure his contribution was entirely accurate I believe he was being facetious

But wait: I recall first time not having entered the Web Page and so that must be the reason Mac entered Jackie's ref twice and this is what's "wrong"; so let me try once more

[url=for Jackie]Wordsmith Talk[/url] http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=survival+requires+specific+environment

Nah sorry, that didn't work either

But whoa It just occurred to me that what Mac wanted me to to was to enter the entire url in the first box, then Jackie must be what he wants for the Web Page Title; let me try it

jackie http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=survival+requires+specific+environment

Ok that didn't work either

But as I said somewhere else, none of this sort of turmoil should be necessary. The software should entirely automatically have recognized it as a url, fixed it up to suit, then replaced it in link form when I struck "submit". I thought Bill was bad but in cases like this apparently Mac hasn't made things much easier

Sorry guys, there's not much hope and so again my apologies while I cordially invite all you guys to give up on me. I may quit this sort of thing altogether, go back to writing books about The Problems of Youth and The Purpose of Creation

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from the FAQS:

Links
[email] joe@email.com [/email] = Makes the given email address clickable.
[email: joe@email.com ] text [/email] = Makes the given email address clickable.
[url= link ] link [/url] = Makes the given url into a link.
[url= link ] title [/url] = Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link.
[img] link [/img] = Embeds an image.

ergo:

[url= THIS IS WHERE THE HTTP STUFF GOES ]

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith