Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#18778 02/15/01 03:40 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A Liberal is a guy willing to give away your money.

#18779 02/15/01 07:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I say we all go to a Pub, get hammered, and then discuss politics, because (a) nobody gave me a good reason to not do so when I started with this board (I'm with you BYB) (b) It seems at least we'll all think we make sense (Jazz - paragraph #1 and #4 are a bit contradicting...) and (c) anyone who couldn't agree to disagree would slowly learn the meaning of "subjectivity"... (pardon my opinion)(BTW-I refuse to put forth any more responses in this context)

#18780 02/15/01 09:44 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
if you believe all that guff you gave out with

What, I'm not supposed to believe fact?

-subjective counting
-no standards
-heavily Democratic counties
-statistician's nightmare

all of those are solid facts, my friend

Plus, the Florida Suporeme Court is quite well known for being the single most liberal court in the US.

#18781 02/15/01 09:56 PM
old hand
old hand
http://madison.hss.cmu.edu/

That's all I'm saying.

#18782 02/16/01 06:29 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi William,
This is indeed a good question to bring the discussion back to reasonable proportions: Nobody in their right mind would say Gore got "epurated". You would need a monolithic doctrine to define what "pure" and "impure" are to signify. Quite apart from its desirability, there is no trace of such a doctrine. I think the problems with the election arose not from lack of democracy, but from excessive expectations put in its basic rules. Democracy, while a necessary condition, is no replacement for leadership.

#18783 02/16/01 11:27 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Democracy, while a necessary condition, is no replacement for leadership

That's good and pithy, Werner. Do you have a published work we can cite when quoting you?

#18784 02/16/01 01:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Do you have a published work we can cite when quoting you?

You may quote W. Sieber and M. Fischer, J. Mater. Sci. (1993), 28(6), 1639-44. It has nothing to do with the subject at hand (who cares?), but it is one of the few published "works" of mine.

#18785 02/16/01 01:25 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
W. Sieber and M. Fischer

you published something with Tsuwm?

#18786 02/16/01 03:47 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
The election in Florida, etc. An open note to Jazzoctopus.
I wasn't at first inclined to reply to your reply, as I know for sure this isn't the forum for political debate. We have better fish to fry here, and there are plenty of other places to go to indulge your taste for partisan politics. I have no more to say on the issue at hand, but I do have a couple things I want to say to you, Jazz, and also for the benefit of the rest of our cyber community.

Firstly, I commend you for having a real commitment to the principles of our government, for the amount of time and trouble you obviously devote to learning the issues and facts of our political scene, and for the skill with which you express yourself. Frequently, one begins to despair of the future of our species when you look around and see the miserable excuses for human beings that hang around on street corners, malls and other adolescent haunts, not to mention the ones being locked up in distressing numbers for crimes ranging from nuisance to capital grade, while at the same time 50 guilty ones go free for each one put away, because there are too many to successfully prosecute. Then we come across someone like yourself. It's a joy to see a young person with a passion for something, maybe for a number of things/causes/interests. No great objective, or even a small personal one, was ever accomplished, or ever will be accomplished, without someone, or a number of individuals, with a passionate devotion to seeing it accomplished. So, don't let anyone or any setbacks, diminish that passion until it has run its course.

Of course, speaking as a member of the community, you have to realize that the passionate individual can be, and usually is, a real pain in the ass to everyone else. It's your responsibility, as a gentleman, to minimize this (I don't say avoid it entirely, because that's impossible). This will take, on your part, a lot of toleration for the views of others, however repugnant they may be to you. You have to do what does not come naturally to someone your age -- LISTEN, really listen not just pretend, to the other side, and make a genuine effort to see your opponent's view. Then, if you still disagree, do it like a gentleman. I think you really know what I'm getting at here.

Lastly, please keep in mind, that passion, while useful and even often necessary, is counterproductive, and even highly dangerous, if not governed by principle, good sense, and good taste. Some of the worst crimes in human history have been committed by people who let themselves be overmastered by their passion for what started out as a good cause. And every day, there are people whose dreams, projects, businesses and even their personal lives, are crashing down in failure because they will not, or can not, impose on their passions the limits which humanity, principle, morality, common sense, or good manners dictate.

Here endeth the sermon. Personally, I'm glad to have you around and I encourage you to keep on giving us the view of an enlightened young member of our community, even if I don't agree with your views, and I certainly won't agree often on politics. On other subjects, we probably have more in common than you would imagine.

#18787 02/16/01 04:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bob, I...am near-speechless with wonder, at the veracity,
kindness, and damn common sense of your "sermon".
"We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
A deep bow to you, my friend.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith