Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A common lament (more like a rant), on-line and off-, is that linguistic change is corruption and leads to the imminent destruction of language and subsequent incommunication. To see what utter nonsense this is, one needs only to look so far as the history of language change in Europe. Latin started to change even before the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Who, amongst the linguo-Casandras, can cogently argue that Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian, Provencal, etc., are worse than Latin or less capable of communication? French is as different a language from Latin as (Present-Day) English is from Old English, but what of it? Great literature exists in all four of those languages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hear, hear.

formerly known as etaoin...
veteran
veteran
Do you conclude from "language corruption doesn't necessarily produce poor communication" that "it doesn't ever produce poor communication?"

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Do you conclude from "language corruption doesn't necessarily produce poor communication" that "it doesn't ever produce poor communication?"

No, I conclude that from the fact that I know of no language that, of itself, leads to bad or poor communication.There's another trend that historical linguists have noticed about language change. The language tends to keep changing to make it easier to speak and communicate. For example, the inflectional case system did not simply disappear from Old English and Latin, they were replaced by fixed word order (and, at this point, somebody usually mentions prepositions, but they were used in the case system, too). I'd say poor communication is possible in any language. I have never seen a language corrupt. What does it look and smell like?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
C
stranger
stranger
C
So we should never judge one form superior to: another, a whole other, a whole nuther?

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
So we should never judge one form superior to: another, a whole other, a whole nuther?

While I did not use the terms superior or inferior, I did suggest the appropriate registers in which to use the term whole 'nother. Your question in the other thread, only discussed the appropriateness of the use whole 'nother, and I believe that is what I addressed: the context of its usage.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
while I love J.S. Bach, the world would be a lesser place without John Coltrane, or Peter Gabriel.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smile Well, comparing modern English to the English of the 17th century, it has become a lot easier to read. I've just finished R.E. Pritchard's 'Odd Tom Coryate' , quote:

"The first noble carowsing that I saw in Germany was at mine Inne in Basil. Where I saw the Germanes drink helter-skelter very sociably, exempting my selfe from their liquid impositions as well as I could. It is their custome whensoever they drink to another, smile to see their glasses filled up incontinent{for therein they most commonly drinke } and then they deliver it into the hand of him to whom they drinke, esteeming him a very curteous man that doth pledge the whole, according to the old verse:

Germanus mihi frater eris si pocula siccas.{German, thou shalt be my brother if thou drainest the cup.}

But on the contrary side, they deeme that man for a very rusticall and unsociable peasant, utterly unworthy of their company, that will not with reciprocall turnes mutually retaliate a health. And they verifie the old speeche... eyther drink or be gon. For though they will not offer any villainie or injury unto him that refuseth to pledge him the whole
{ which I have often seene in England to my great griefe } yet they will so little regard him, that they will scarce vouchafe to converse with him."

It is fun to have the old(er) and the newer English both.

Last edited by BranShea; 10/28/09 06:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
"I'd say poor communication is possible in any language."
Does anyone actually argue more than this?

"I have never seen a language corrupt. "

Does anyone argue this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I haven't heard it call corruption here, but many people are always worrying about language going down the drain. What I find irritating is what we have:

Every ten years a new Wordlist Of The Dutch Language is published by the Dutch Language Union, known as 'The Green Booklet', edited by the Institute of Dutch Lexicology. Meaning spelling changes; not bad in itsself but annoying that from there on many words have been slightly changed to be allowed as correct. Remarkably, in the yearly TV spelling contest, The Belgians usually win from the Dutch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith