Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#186387 08/10/09 01:56 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Rosenfelder asks "How likely are chance resemblances between languages?" and gives his answer (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z

I'm not up on statistical analysis, it has been a long time since university. And unlike journal articles he doesn't have a conclusion section at the end. If anyone understood all those graphs could you translate for me please?

Zed #186391 08/10/09 05:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Way outside my realm of understanding, but various parts were
very enlightening. Thanks.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Zed #186392 08/10/09 05:44 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
If anyone understood all those graphs could you translate for me please?

There was only one graph, the normal distribution one, and I was not sure what his point was, other than the distribution of probabilities is a normal one. It's been a long time since I did statistics, too. Perhaps one of the other mathematically inclined can vet his reasoning. I mainly concentrated on his explanations of how the mass comparison "method" works.

1. The lack of consistent phonological correspondence between languages (say as between Latin and French or Italian, for example).

2. The phonological and semantic leeway in the mass comparison "method".

His conclusion I took to be that the kinds of mass comparisons that some people find convincing could be no more than coincidence.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Done my best to read the complete article, but when cifers are getting involved, I just loose track. Though I can grasp some of the contents. We've had comparisons before, of which you said they were accidental resemblances. I looked twice in surprise at today's word "ort".

"remains of food left from a meal," c.1440, cognate with early Du. ooraete, Low Ger. ort, from or-, privative prefix, + etan "to eat."

Ort is a word I never heard of before which is exactly written like German "Ort" meaning "place". Would you know where the German word Ort comes from? It really can be so confusing.

BranShea #186395 08/10/09 08:00 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
German "Ort" meaning "place". Would you know where the German word Ort comes from?

I did not, but I took a look at Kluge and Grimm's dictionary. In Middle High German, ort meant 'point (of a weapon)'. It developed a secondary meaning of 'corner; angle', and from that developed the meaning of 'place' in modern German. It had the point of a weapon meaning in Old Saxon (Dutch) and old English ord. (This latter is not related to ordnance (var., ordinance) which is ultimately from Latin, via French, ordo 'order'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #186396 08/10/09 08:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What always intrigues me is where you say : "it developed". It developed from 'point' via 'corner' and 'angle' to 'place'.
But how and why we'll never know. How does the point of a weapon turn into place. It is strange juggling, language. Through history.

BranShea #186397 08/10/09 08:46 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
"it developed" It developed from 'point' via 'corner' and 'angle' to 'place'. But how and why we'll never know. How does the point of a weapon turn into place.

Well, I condensed my rather quick skimming of the long entry in Grimm's dictionary. It's online and you can follow the development here (link).

[Addendum: another odd development. In Old Icelandic, oddi meant both 'point' and 'three' or 'odd'. My Dutch etymological dictionary shows the same situation holds in Dutch: "oord ... "punt, kant, rand, spits van een wapen, hoek, vierde deel ... stuk land, tijdstip, begin".]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
BranShea #186400 08/10/09 10:36 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted By: BranShea
What always intrigues me is where you say : "it developed". It developed from 'point' via 'corner' and 'angle' to 'place'.
But how and why we'll never know. How does the point of a weapon turn into place. It is strange juggling, language. Through history.

Perhaps through the pointing of a weapon, or some other angular/pointed instrument at a map to denote a location?

Rhimes #186401 08/11/09 12:11 AM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps through the pointing of a weapon, or some other angular/pointed instrument at a map to denote a location?

We use point to mean a place also in English. (cf. "We stopped at a point file miles short of our final destination", "The train stops at Chicago and all poionts west".) Looking more closely at the Dutch definition of oord and the Grimm's entry on ort, I see that 'point', 'edge', 'corner', 'border', starting-point', 'end-point', and 'place'. It has a logic of successive meanings to me that kind of seemed obvious, but mustn't be to others. English place is from Greek, via French and latin, and referred originally to a πλατεια οδος (plateia hodos) 'broad street'; cognate with English flat.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith