About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
ßűḟů I would pronounce as "bufu"... ;0)

So how would you pronounce the name "Sydney"? The one I know says "sid nee", not "side nee". That's why it looks like "siffy" to me...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So how would you pronounce the name "Sydney"?

Sir Philip Bleeding is how I pronounce it.

And I pronounce Syfy as ßűḟů, with the first grapheme pronounced as the the ß in German Straße 'street', the second one as the ű in Hungarian tűz /tyːz/ 'fire', the third one as the f in Japanese 富士山 fujisan /ɸɯꜜdʑisaɴ/ 'Mt Fuji', and the final one as the ů in Czech nůž /nuːʃ/ 'knife; shiv'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmm... seeing this #@65%()##_(&^$94 I think I'll just say : "Sinny"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
And just because I've always wondered: I know a "tesseract" is a "real" thing, but does anybody "get it"? It's so weird!

What you have there is two-space projections of three-space projections of four-space objects. Back in the day we made a three-space projection of a tesseract.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a tesseract is a Wrinkle in Time!!
-ron o.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Hmm... seeing this #@65%()##_(&^$94 I think I'll just say : "Sinny"

That is too funny! I copied and pasted Z's word, which looked fine when I did it, but apparently wasn't fine after the "postmaster" got done with it!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
That's not my word, I never use language like that. [polishing tarnished halo-e]

What I meant to post here was:
Back to SciFi (which incidentally I remember hearing as SciFic somewhere in my distant past) words. It always amused me to see what was invented as swearing; frac, smeg and the like.

On a tangent, does anyone remember the Tom Swift series. No invention of new words there. They just prefixed everything with space. "Look Tom, the space explosion of space fuel turned that space rock into space dust!!!" Yeesh.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But twosleepy, that is a beautiful thing! This tesseract.

Quote:
"Look Tom, the space explosion of space fuel turned that space rock into space dust!!!" Yeesh.

Yes, that how we used to make our space trip as kids. No fancy words, just rock solid space dust. And catering in the space craft was just "longlife" pills . Crashes were survived by "longlife" pills. Right, as food it was really boring.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
You and I have differing opinions about when science fiction began as a genre. I trace it back at least to Lucian's True History (2nd century CE,A wee bit before Azimov's time.

Kia ora Z,
I'm still not convinced of Lucians intent. He states in his intro,

Accordingly I hereby declare, that I sit down to relate what never befell me ; what I neither saw myself, nor heard by report from others ; aye, what is more, about matters that not only are not, but never will be, because in one word, they are absolutely impossible, and to which therefore I warn my readers (if by the by I should have any) not to give even the smallest degree of credit.

After having read the tale I had trouble fathoming whether even the science of the day would find any room for plausibility. It was a great read though, I loved the enormous scale and sense of wonderment he created. Maybe if his ship had wings, that would sway me. I do feel privilleged for having read it. A good yarn.

But hey, mine ain't the be all and end all of what skiffy is and what it is'nt.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 604 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith