Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
SF is rich with opportunities to create new phrases and words that sound really cool.

I use the word-

Technoloog - imagined future tech that is nothing more than a single word/ phrase that sounds cool... eg 'flux capacitor' from Back to the Future or something like 'psi-chaon particle reverberator turbines'... stuff like that...

'loog' is corruption of logos.

It'd be really nice if we posted such imaginary words/phrases with a short explanation.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You mikght want to get a hold of a copy of Brave New Words: the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, 2007, ed. Jeff Prucher. A favorite of mine is phlogiston.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: phlogiston

oh, right.. as in that wonderful sf writer Joe Priestly, "Mr. Lavoisier is well known to maintain, that there is no such thing as what has been called phlogiston." (Philos. Trans., 1785)

I like Asimov's thiotimoline..

"The result was that I wrote a pseudo-dissertation [in 1948]
written as stodgily as I could manage about a compound
which dissolved 1.12 seconds before you added the water.
I called it The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated
Thiotimoline."
- Isaac Asimov, I.Asimov: A Memoir (1994)

"It can only be initiated in my continuum, because the
molecules of the activating substance, thiotimoline,
have different properties when they're reversed."
- Spider Robinson, Time Travelers Strictly Cash (1981)

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
"Phlogiston"...Great word. But it refers to an actual chemistry theory that was once around to explain fire/oxidation...

Phlogiston Theory

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as in that wonderful sf writer Joe Priestly

I was thinking more of that great skiffy writer, J. J. Becher (link). He was also a conlanger, viz. Character pro notitia linguarum universali.

You and I have differing opinions about when science fiction began as a genre. I trace it back at least to Lucian's True History (2nd century CE, Αληθη Διηγηματα). A wee bit before Azimov's time.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But it refers to an actual chemistry theory that was once around to explain fire/oxidation

I read it used jocularly in at least one skiffy book. (I'll try to round up the citation.)

But since you and tsuwm are such purists, I offer waldo from 20th century scientifiction. It's now a real word denoting a real thing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
aside, re: sf.. scifi.. skiffy.. scientifiction

what do you make of the scifi channel changing their logo to SYFY?
8-P

zmjezhd #185897 07/18/09 04:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Phlogiston features in the science fiction short story "... The World, As We Know't" by Howard Waldrop (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Great words have been invented, I know...
One of my faves is "Sophont" which is kind of a synonym for 'sentient/sapient' referring to intelligent life forms

... link to a nice site with this wordSophont

Try inventing some original Techloog... heres one from my side-

Necrovault- A chamber for long term cryogenic freezing, as on spaceships performing journeys for long periods.

Edit- Site for some of the best technoloog around...

75 words every sf fan should know ... waldo's on this list

Last edited by Fieldgunner; 07/18/09 04:44 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about stereobatic semiosis, sometimes mislabeled foundational semantogenesis? It's a term from diachronic xenolinguistics which refers to a stage in the development of language in which meaning proceeds signification. Roughly when a concept exists before a word for it does.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Fieldgunner
SF is rich with opportunities to create new phrases and words that sound really cool.

I use the word-

Technoloog - imagined future tech that is nothing more than a single word/ phrase that sounds cool... eg 'flux capacitor' from Back to the Future or something like 'psi-chaon particle reverberator turbines'... stuff like that...

'loog' is corruption of logos.
It'd be really nice if we posted such imaginary words/phrases with a short explanation.
Not to spoil someone's fun ( I hate to do that) but we use technoloog as a common word.
link

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
"stereobatic semiosis"... lolz, very rich!

try an antonym for that... ie when a word exists before the concept does...

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Re BranShea

Looks German... what does it mean?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Technologist.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when a word exists before the concept does

Nephelococcygial semiosis, or cloud-cuckoo-landish symbologenesis.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Okay... I'll change mine to Pseuteclog wink

Pseudo-Technological-Words

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There was always Asimov's psychohistory. A more recent addition would be cliology from Michael Flynn's works In the Country of the Blind[i] and [i]Eifelheim. Googling it makes an study and I'm not sure if Flynn coined it or if he co-opted an existing word (and discipline). To me psychohistory was more of an engineering discipline and cliology observational.

Last edited by Faldage; 07/18/09 09:07 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what do you make of the scifi channel changing their logo to SYFY? Surprisingly, I like it; it's a much better phonological replication than sci-fi...which I would never have equated with skiffy.
Come to think of it, why wasn't sci-fi pronounced as sigh-fee or sigh-fih? Just the rhyme?

Welcome aBoard, Fieldgunner. I'm guessing you're a U.S.'n?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Come to think of it, why wasn't sci-fi pronounced as sigh-fee or sigh-fih?

well, I (for one) always pronounced it as sigh-figh; and I think that SyFy just obviousizes it for those who haven't been uplifted.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted By: Jackie

Welcome aBoard, Fieldgunner. I'm guessing you're a U.S.'n?

thanks jackie... your guess is a bit off though.i'm from india.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
isnt asimov also credited with coining 'robotics' before there was such an industry?

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted By: latishya
isnt asimov also credited with coining 'robotics' before there was such an industry?

indeed... but it really wouldnt count as a new word, just an extension of 'robot' which of course is from Karel Capeks Czech Play RUR, the word meaning 'serf'/'slave'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
R.U.R. (‘Rossum's Universal Robots’) (1920)
-ron o.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Also, its been quite some time since I heard anyone insist that 'Robot' be pronounced correctly with the 't' silent, rather than as 'Roh-Baht'... i guess we have Hollywood to credit for that...

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

indeed... but it really wouldnt count as a new word, just an extension of 'robot' which of course is from Karel Capeks Czech Play RUR, the word meaning 'serf'/'slave'.

anyone who knows anything about robots already knows that but the parameters of this discussion were as follws:

"a word exists before the concept does"

the word "robotics" existed before the concept of robotics did in just the same way that the words artificial and satellite existed as words before Clarke put them together to describe a concept that did not exist when he coined the phrase.

I am also confused by this
Quote:
its been quite some time since I heard anyone insist that 'Robot' be pronounced correctly with the 't' silent
"Correctly"? By whose fiat? I do not speak czech and feel no obligation to try to pronounce the English word 'robot' as if it were the czech word from which it was derived any more than I feel obliged to pronounce yacht as if it were the dutch word from which it was derived. Defining 'correctly' as "common in standard variants" the robot does not have a silent "t" in English and since it is now an English word that is enough for me.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Re 1... the word exists before the concept does.

That was just an aside in the discussion, my friend... actually the discussion is about inventing new words/phrases inspired by science fiction. Though most of us here are actually just putting up words that have already been used, I started the thread with the hope of hearing some original ones.

Re2...Pronunciation of 'Robot'.

I apologise if it seems to you that i can somehow, over the internet, 'oblige' you to speak the word in a certain way, thus inhibiting your freedom of choice...duh!
You are right, of course. In english, the word does have the 't' audible. I stand corrected.

Back on topic-

Psyron- massless, weightless, chargeless particle which travels faster than light and bends time-space in its path as it travels carrying information between telepaths. Also shows wavelike properties and thus...Psyflux- roughly, brainwaves.

laugh

latishya #185923 07/19/09 09:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
robot

From the Czech word robota 'servitude' < rab slave'. Our word slave is from the (Latin) ethnonym Sclavus Slav' (cf. Russian слава, slava, 'fame', слово, slovo, 'word') < PIE *kleu- 'to hear'. And serf is from latin servus 'slave, servant'

silent t

I have never heard this, but it makes no sense at all. The word robot is a borrowing of the Czech word robota in which the t is pronounced. Besides androids and automata, there was the medieval Jewish story of the Golem (Yiddish goylem) created by Rabbi Loew of Prague. In French, robot is pronounced without voicing the t, but as the play R.U.R. was translated from the Czech (by Paul Sever who also translated The Good Soldier Švejk) and not the French, I cannot see how this has any bearing on the English pronunciation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Psyron

Psyron 0bvious

tsuwm?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you rong?

tsuwm #185927 07/19/09 04:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Eye-wrung fluttered by.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #185928 07/19/09 08:51 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
robot

silent t

I have never heard this, but it makes no sense at all.

It is gratifying to know thta I was not the only one who thought this way.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Speaking of new words

http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/185767/New_words_in_Webster_s_Collegi#Post185767

zm, forgive me but doesn't a condition or concept almost always exist before the word for it

dalehileman
latishya #185942 07/20/09 06:21 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
robot

silent t

I have never heard this, but it makes no sense at all.

It is gratifying to know thta I was not the only one who thought this way.

I was in about fourth grade when I read it aloud as "robo" whereupon our teacher corrected me with utter certainty. But I when looked it up in the appendix of the very schoolbook in which the phrase was used--I think it was on geography--much to her surprise it was indeed given as "robo"

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
much to her surprise it was indeed given as "robo"

That explains a lot, dahil. You're French. But, seriously, unless you can find this schoolbook (perhaps on Google books, link) I'll stick with what I've heard.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
doesn't a condition or concept almost always exist before the word for it

I'm not sure, even for human languages, but they would never have coined the term in xenolinguistics (link) if they hadn't needed it. But, seriously, dahil, if I run across a word I've never seen or used before, then the word does precede the concept. Also, if the word changes in meaning, then it precedes its (newer) concept.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quite often something new is developed and existing words are used to refer to it before it gets a word of its own. One example might be the horseless carriage. In other cases existing words might be used to refer to something and the old word might stick around, such as a recording.

zmjezhd #185962 07/21/09 04:45 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
much to her surprise it was indeed given as "robo"

That explains a lot, dahil. You're French. But, seriously, unless you can find this schoolbook (perhaps on Google books, link) I'll stick with what I've heard.

Stick with it zm: That was 70 years ago and I would suppose the tome is long out of print

I do in fact have a bit of French blood but it's the German in me which recalls technicalities such as arose that day in class

dalehileman
veteran
veteran
Schoolbooks are often wrong. I've always heard it as ROW BOT' or less often as ROW' BUTT. When my spawn were much younger, we read aloud RUR and others of Capek's plays amongst ourselves. It's an interesting read - IIRC, humanity is destroyed and replaced by its creations who develop human emotions.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
I do in fact have a bit of French blood but it's the German in me which recalls technicalities such as arose that day in class

But it's not French blood Fieldgunner (hello Fg ) was looking for, Dale. It's Camiroïan blood he's been after. And bellotas nuts. I only saw Robo without the t in Robocop.

BranShea #185970 07/21/09 10:17 PM
old hand
old hand
You and I have differing opinions about when science fiction began as a genre. I trace it back at least to Lucian's True History (2nd century CE, &#913;&#955;&#951;&#952;&#951; &#916;&#953;&#951;&#947;&#951;&#956;&#945;&#964;&#945;). A wee bit before Azimov's time.

I'd like to hear more if you don't mind. I'm of the mind that Sci-fi is at least definable by the Science and Technology of the contemporary era. I haven't read 'True story' but would now like to. from what I've gleaned from online sources, it seems to bend toward the fantasy genre a tad bit. But, I dunno!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale, if you would edit your post (#185940) to delete the end of the link so that you leave only http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/185767, it will still take us to the page but will also reduce this thread so it's not w-i-d-e any more. I hope. Thanks.

olly #185979 07/22/09 03:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

It's been just over thirty years since I read parts of it for a classics class in college, but I found an English translation online at Gutenberg (link). If you want we can both read it and discuss.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
Schoolbooks are often wrong. I've always heard it as ROW BOT' or less often as ROW' BUTT.

Recently I heard an audio file on the onion website in which the word was consistently pronounced ROE BIT. The OED has only ({sm}r{schwa}{shtu}b{rfa}t) and no mention of an alternate pronunciation with a silent t. Nor does Merriam-Webster and googling for 'robot pronunciation silent t' turns up only this thread as mentioning the existence of such a variant.

latishya #185983 07/22/09 11:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The OED has only ({sm}r{schwa}{shtu}b{rfa}t)

I got just one question:

Huh?

Faldage #185984 07/22/09 11:13 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Faldage
The OED has only ({sm}r{schwa}{shtu}b{rfa}t)

I got just one question:

Huh?

sorry. I copied and pasted the pronunciation entry and that was how it came out. It lookes like this:

zmjezhd #185994 07/22/09 10:23 PM
old hand
old hand
If you want we can both read it and discuss.

Ta! I'll let you know when I've finished.

olly #186049 07/25/09 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like to hear more too! Love Sci Fi.

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
aside, re: sf.. scifi.. skiffy.. scientifiction

what do you make of the scifi channel changing their logo to SYFY?
8-P

I HATE IT!!!! It looks like "siffy" to me. YUK!!!!

old hand
old hand
And just because I've always wondered: I know a "tesseract" is a "real" thing, but does anybody "get it"? It's so weird!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I HATE IT!!!! It looks like "siffy" to me. YUK!!!!

Sifffy. Hmm. I like it. It rolls right off the tongue into the mud puddle below. Syfy on the other hand I would pronounce as ßűḟů.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
ß&#369;&#7711;&#367; I would pronounce as "bufu"... ;0)

So how would you pronounce the name "Sydney"? The one I know says "sid nee", not "side nee". That's why it looks like "siffy" to me...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So how would you pronounce the name "Sydney"?

Sir Philip Bleeding is how I pronounce it.

And I pronounce Syfy as ßűḟů, with the first grapheme pronounced as the the ß in German Straße 'street', the second one as the ű in Hungarian tűz /tyːz/ 'fire', the third one as the f in Japanese 富士山 fujisan /ɸɯꜜdʑisaɴ/ 'Mt Fuji', and the final one as the ů in Czech nůž /nuːʃ/ 'knife; shiv'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmm... seeing this #@65%()##_(&^$94 I think I'll just say : "Sinny"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
And just because I've always wondered: I know a "tesseract" is a "real" thing, but does anybody "get it"? It's so weird!

What you have there is two-space projections of three-space projections of four-space objects. Back in the day we made a three-space projection of a tesseract.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a tesseract is a Wrinkle in Time!!
-ron o.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Hmm... seeing this #@65%()##_(&^$94 I think I'll just say : "Sinny"

That is too funny! I copied and pasted Z's word, which looked fine when I did it, but apparently wasn't fine after the "postmaster" got done with it!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
That's not my word, I never use language like that. [polishing tarnished halo-e]

What I meant to post here was:
Back to SciFi (which incidentally I remember hearing as SciFic somewhere in my distant past) words. It always amused me to see what was invented as swearing; frac, smeg and the like.

On a tangent, does anyone remember the Tom Swift series. No invention of new words there. They just prefixed everything with space. "Look Tom, the space explosion of space fuel turned that space rock into space dust!!!" Yeesh.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But twosleepy, that is a beautiful thing! This tesseract.

Quote:
"Look Tom, the space explosion of space fuel turned that space rock into space dust!!!" Yeesh.

Yes, that how we used to make our space trip as kids. No fancy words, just rock solid space dust. And catering in the space craft was just "longlife" pills . Crashes were survived by "longlife" pills. Right, as food it was really boring.

old hand
old hand
You and I have differing opinions about when science fiction began as a genre. I trace it back at least to Lucian's True History (2nd century CE,A wee bit before Azimov's time.

Kia ora Z,
I'm still not convinced of Lucians intent. He states in his intro,

Accordingly I hereby declare, that I sit down to relate what never befell me ; what I neither saw myself, nor heard by report from others ; aye, what is more, about matters that not only are not, but never will be, because in one word, they are absolutely impossible, and to which therefore I warn my readers (if by the by I should have any) not to give even the smallest degree of credit.

After having read the tale I had trouble fathoming whether even the science of the day would find any room for plausibility. It was a great read though, I loved the enormous scale and sense of wonderment he created. Maybe if his ship had wings, that would sway me. I do feel privilleged for having read it. A good yarn.

But hey, mine ain't the be all and end all of what skiffy is and what it is'nt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith