Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
jargon helps in the communication as long as the people involved check very carefully what they are doing, saying or writing. Well, I guess everybody tries.

Yes, I never suggested that the communication is good or that it actually takes place, but that most people are trying to communicate something. Even purveyors of the most obfuscatory prose are trying to say something. I may not like or be buying it or even be swayed and persuaded by it, but I willing to give them my attention, at least until I determine what it is they are trying to say. More often than not, I simply find that people discount what somebody may be discussing because of some jargon creeping into the dialog. I do think it is important not to take jargon for granted when discussing something with somebody who is not in-group, but whether to explain terms as one uses them or to try to paraphrase the terms is a strategy for another thread.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
veteran
veteran
One situation that often arises with using jargon is as follows:

Experts use jargon when discussing a topic.

Non-experts or lesser-experts begin using the jargon without fully understanding it (occasionally perhaps without understanding it at all).

This alternative usage becomes widespread.

At first it's just wrong, but how many people have to adopt it before we consider it a legitimate alternative? (I have no idea.)

In conversation, non-experts use a term to communicate something with the expert, each thinking the communication has been clear (and maybe it has and maybe it has not).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Even purveyors of the most obfuscatory prose are trying to say something.

Forgive me, I know we don't call this 'jargon' but I had to look up those two words to understand that here is talk of providers of confusing prose. Footnote? it made me grin

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It made me grin.

Excellent. Even footnoted humor is sometimes funny ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, you're absolutely right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 441 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith