Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Faldage #182803 02/21/09 06:21 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
No, silly, the drive is a place to store your car.

Faldage #182811 02/21/09 03:35 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Dale,
........Or did I miss an additional definition of feuilleton?

******Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip

You didn't listen to the Red Queen, did you? A drive is a place to store data.

***By that reasoning the transistor should have been called a tube

dalehileman
dalehileman #182816 02/21/09 06:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example. On the other hand, record didn't make it through to the CD, or even to the tape. There's no reason why you shouldn't call a CD a record. Sure, you'll get some folks who'll refer to a CD as a record, but they're by far in the minority.

Faldage #182832 02/22/09 04:52 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example.

*****No it's not, a CD album not only shares a similar function but looks just a whole lot like a record album

On the other hand, record didn't make it through to the CD, or even to the tape. There's no reason why you shouldn't call a CD a record.

******Ok with me

Sure, you'll get some folks who'll refer to a CD as a record, but they're by far in the minority.

****I do like CD better too

dalehileman
dalehileman #182833 02/22/09 06:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example.

*****No it's not, a CD album not only shares a similar function but looks just a whole lot like a record album

The slip in the meaning of album came, not with the transition from LP to CD but from the transition from 78rpm records to LP. The 78 rpm albums were so-called because, like photo albums of the time, they had individual pages for the insertion of individual disks. The pre-recording albums, e.g., photo or stamp, were so-called because they had blank pages. It's from the Latin word for blank tablet.

dalehileman #182835 02/22/09 10:04 PM
P
P
[quote=Zed]Hi Dale,
........Or did I miss an additional definition of feuilleton?

******Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip

You didn't listen to the Red Queen, did you? A drive is a place to store data.

***By that reasoning the transistor should have been called a tube [/quote]

But, the English electronic world did not standardize "tube" in naming vacuum tubes. I do not know how universal the use of "tube" was -- it may have only been American. While I cannot recall right now the term that the British used, however, it was more descriptive of the function of vacuum tubes than of their appearance. And, in some contexts the same British term was used to refer to a transistor.

When I studied electronics under the tutelage of the US Air Force, transistors were the very new thing. Most of the equipment we used still had vacuum tubes. Transistos were only utilized in electronic equipment where minaturization was an advantage as for example in equipment used within an air plane versus equipment that was used on the ground.

I worked in physical measurements laboratories, analyzing and evaluating the energy levels radiated by debris resulting from nuclear detonations. At the time -- late 1950s/early 1960s, there were three primary pieces of electronic equipment that we used routinely: a device that counted the radiation digitally; a device that was essentially a high voltage transformer; and a device that served as the detection chamber. Only the latter had transistors. The first two had vacuum tubes. The tubes in the counting device were quite large -- almost ten inches in height.

One of the laboratories in which I worked was in a country that did not use 60 cycle electricity, the system around which our equipment was designed. The local electrical system was also very unstable. We had a very complicated conversion pant that produced precise 60 cycle current. Nonetheless, because of the instability of our local source, we were suffering multiple transformer failures in the high voltage devices,

The problem was solved when I designed a automatic cut-off system based on the filament voltage circuit of the device. But, I used a vacuum tube rather than a transistor for there was none available yet to do what the vacuum tube I used did.

And, the British name still has not come to me -- so I will stop.

Zed #182836 02/22/09 10:08 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: Zed
No, silly, the drive is a place to store your car.

Actually, the drive is the place to park the car or to access the facility in which the car may be "store"d, i.e., the garage. ;^)

PastorVon #182841 02/22/09 11:17 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Von by chance I too am an electronic type so if you should wish to exchange experiences I am dalehileman@me.com

dalehileman
PastorVon #182843 02/23/09 12:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

But, the English electronic world did not standardize "tube" in naming vacuum tubes. I do not know how universal the use of "tube" was -- it may have only been American. While I cannot recall right now the term that the British used, however, it was more descriptive of the function of vacuum tubes than of their appearance. And, in some contexts the same British term was used to refer to a transistor.

The British term was/is valve. I don't know if they extended the term to transistors but I bet a little googling will tell us.

Wikipedia doesn't seem to think that the British call a transistor a valve. I don't find anything anywhere else, either. Doesn't mean they don't use it that way. Bet someone here would know.

Faldage #182844 02/23/09 12:50 AM
old hand
old hand
The British term was/is valve. I don't know if they extended the term to transistors but I bet a little googling will tell us.
Yes, valve is the common usage and transistor is as you would call it, a transistor.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith