About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you valid Zed, that's a very good and simple way to help me out of this confusion. You are right as most ever.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
It is easy to judge from hindsight. But who is really to know what might have happened?

How else can you judge history? You can't judge it before it happens!

Quote:
Nonsense? That could be just your opinion. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Well yes, but it is based on logic. The idea that two or more contradictory views can all be right is not logical. It's just patronising nonsense IMO. Agreeing to disagree is fine - that's what I'm talking about - that's what toleration really means - tolerating the person, without having to say that their idea or belief is true. The latter is what Relativism insists on.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Zed
I'm not sure tolerating ideas is the same thing as agreeing that they are equally valid. If you say that snow is black and I say it is white then however much I love you I cannot think that your idea is equally true and valid. (I may also wonder if your eyesight is valid) I will however "tolerate" your idea in that I do agree with your right to have and defend your idea.

Yes, that's what I mean.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Isn't there an inconsistancy here between tolerating people who do not have the ideas one agrees with (which you say we ought to do), and not tolerating 'everyones' ideas because they are not equally valid or true to one's own? Ideas never stand on their own.

Good point Bran. Of course ideas, religions, political ideologies, etc are part of a person and often people will take great offense when you criticise beliefs they cherish and see it as a personal attack on them. There is always a need for sensitivity in interpersonal relations of any kind. But that doesn't change whether or not beliefs are true or false. Unless you subscribe to relativism of course.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On the other hand, there is the possibility that your ideas and the ideas of the perswon you tolerate are both wrong. Then they are equally right.

Or, another example might be this: Is it polite to look at people that you are talking to? In some cultures, if you don't look at a person you are talking to you will be judged as being unreliable. In other societies looking at the person you are talking to is considered rude, even insulting.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 719 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith