old hand
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Where's Bran when we need him.????

I think you mean 'her'?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: PastorVon
Why Hebrew & Greek? A domine, perhaps?

Domine? I'm not a Latin scholar, so had to look that up.

Assuming you're not calling me a member of the Italian heavy metal band; a lord; or a West Indian fish of the family Trichiuridae; I can only surmise that you mean a clergyman. Like you I am a pastor, yes. grin

Don't the Dutch have a dish that is essentially saurkraut served on top of mashed potatoes?

I wouldn't know. I'm not Dutch. I just like rollmop salad. That's about the only highlight of Dutch cuisine as far as I'm concerned! Apart perhaps from a few confectionaries.

A few years ago when I was semi-employed for a while I did some part time mindless work in a food importing warehouse. Amongst other things they imported containers full of plastic packs of saurkraut from Holland and Germany. Sometimes the packs had burst in transit and gone (even more) rotten. We had to wash it off the packs that hadn't burst. That stuff is bad enough before it goes off, but that experience put me off it for life!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Don't the Dutch have a dish that is essentially saurkraut served on top of mashed potatoes?

I believe it's called stamppot zuurkool (link). There are other kinds of stamppots, but the general idea is mashed potatoes (Aardappelpuree) mixed with a vegetable, e.g., endive, kale, carrot, onion. And there can also be some kind of sausage added, e.g., rookworst, which despite its name is not smoked. Bran?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage

I've never heard "wie geht es einen." I've heard "wie geht es Ihnen," which means "How is it going?" polite style, often shortened in more infromal contexts to "wie geht's?"

My error. The transliteration was just mis-spelled. Might be called a scribal error of the ear.

My grandmother died 32 years ago and I've had no regular German communication since then.

Vaughn Hathaway

I ran into a native German speaking friend today and asked her about the "Wie geht es einen" and she said that "Wie geht es ein(e/er)" is common in northern Germany, the former for a woman and the latter for a man.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: The Pook

I think you mean 'her'?
Bran was out skating all day together with half the population of Holland.
Just look and hopefully see them all:
(Nothing more spiritlifting than the sound of skates on ice and all those pleased and happy people and a good '"zuurkool stamppot" to come home to.)

no rollmops

Hope I was in time to prevent the "siebentägiger Sauerkrautkrieg"
Yes, zuurkool mèt rookworst is the classical Dutch, Sauerkraut mit Eisbein is the German and Choucrôute à l'Alsacienne is the French variety. Seperate or mashed with pototoes. A real winter treat. ( The Pook, no spilled and spoiled food is attractive ever.)

Last edited by BranShea; 01/03/09 07:23 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Originally Posted By: The Pook

I think you mean 'her'?
Bran was out skating all day together with half the population of Holland.
Just look and hopefully see them all:
(Nothing more spiritlifting than the sound of skates on ice and all those pleased and happy people and a good '"zuurkool stamppot" to come home to.)

no rollmops

Hope I was in time to prevent the "siebentägiger Sauerkrautkrieg"
Yes, zuurkool mèt rookworst is the classical Dutch, Sauerkraut mit Eisbein is the German and Choucrôute à l'Alsacienne is the French variety. Seperate or mashed with pototoes. A real winter treat. ( The Pook, no spilled and spoiled food is attractive ever.)

I stand corrected. I already explained to Bran my mistake and apologized.
I have a cousin named Bran and He is a He. I don't have any other explanation
for my faux pas. Pardonnez-moi. And thanks for the update, please do so anytime.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Never mind Luke. I have a cousin and he was a she.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Beautiful photos. Some remind me of impressionist paintings. Does everybody in Holland skate? Seems like the whole population is there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ice Cold Passion --- link (click trailer)

It's one of the nicer insanities.
It's the thing that makes employees take days off without permission and schools give days off with permission.

old hand
old hand
Sounds worse than cricket!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith