Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#179632 10/16/08 03:56 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
"It must be left to students of musical semasiology to account for the psychological association that exists between the spiritual concept of goodness and saintliness and the notational accident of the absence of sharps and flats in the key signature, which results in the 'whiteness' of the music."

There are two factors that can make music notation look whiter: one is the absence of sharps and flats, the other is the use of longer note-values (whole notes and half notes).

The first was the subject of an edict from the Council of Trent in the 16th century: the church authorities wanted to clean up the (to them, unnecessarily) complications of church music, including sharps and flats. The product of this reform was . . . Palestrina.

A composition teacher I attended once told me that in his choir-boy days he would judge the interest of a piece of music by how white it looked. Black meant later, therefore interesting, while white (all semibreves and minims) meant earlier (Palestrina etc.) and boring.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you Andrew Robinson for at least casting some light upon the word-context of this day. I hadn't the faintest what this was all about and didn't dare ask. I was wondering about the "whiteness" of music, but I don't want to openly be the dummy all the time. Thank you for your post.
Interesting . Never knew that the Council of Trente kept itself
also busy with things like this. \:\) Palestrina...

See the connection with pale?

BranShea #179640 10/16/08 11:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure I'd want to pay much attention to someone who found Palestrina boring. I hope he came to his senses in later life.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Andrew.
the psychological association that exists between the spiritual concept of goodness and saintliness and the notational accident of the absence of sharps and flats in the key signature
Good heavens--it never occurred to me that there might be such an association. I've played a lot of music, and none of it ever looked spiritually good or otherwise to me. Sound, now--sound can certainly evoke images. Night on the Bald Mountain, for ex.

I'll PM eta about this.

Faldage #179644 10/17/08 08:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
Not sure I'd want to pay much attention to someone who found Palestrina boring. I hope he came to his senses in later life.

Grumble. \:\) No need to pay attention to an anonymous composition teacher's childhood opinions. I'm glad Andrew enlightened to some degree the meaning of this rather totally rare word semasiology. I have no particular opinion on Palestrina, but his name in this context reminded me of the old hit " Whiter Shade of Pale". Words, just words.

Maybe etaoin will have more to add. The music expert.

Faldage #179646 10/17/08 11:07 AM
old hand
old hand
Does this have any relevance to that other thread concerning the expression "that's mighty white of you"? I suppose not.

The Pook #179648 10/17/08 12:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I suppose neither.
But to stay on the musical side of the track, I made a disturbing
discovery just now. Copying a Handel CD + an Alan Hovhaness CD to my media library files, Vista, taking categorizing out of my hands, did not let Hovhaness pass the "classical " test and categorized him "new age". I don't agree.
I'm in shock. Did I give Vista 'carte blanche' to label my CD's?
I suppose not. \:\(

BranShea #179649 10/17/08 12:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Did I give Vista 'carte blanche' to label my CD's?

I'm pretty sure that Vista just downloads the data from the CDDB (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #179654 10/17/08 06:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
heh

well, Catholic decrees aren't my usual thing, but I have had an interesting and enjoyable time learning about the Counter-Reformation and all that...

it sounds like Palestrina did the best he could considering the restrictions (disclaimer-I very much like Palestrina), but then the best composers always do well with restrictions, e.g. J.S.Bach. (interesting stuff here)

as for kids and Palestrina, I'm not surprised at the young choirboy not being thrilled with slower, "beautiful" music, I have the same trouble with my students. fast means better. (too bad for them, we still sing slow, beautiful songs.)

as for "white" notes and psychological stuff, I think it's all blowing in the wind.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you etaoin, for adding some more information about the Counter-Reformation. I never knew much about Palestrina but this furthermore instructive YouTube-je is really quite enjoyable, beautiful singing. And the "whiteness" is clearly present.

Palestrina

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 739 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith