Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The Pook #179321 09/29/08 12:52 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Post modern Art has its roots in the fifties and sixties Ha, Pookie--I wasn't around in the Modernist era, and refuse to take blame for not knowing something from before I was born! And furthermore, for all I know, Modernism hasn't found Tasmania yet! So there! {wink}

BranShea #179322 09/29/08 01:03 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Branny, your explanation helps a lot. Man-- This building is just...wrong; it looks as though a normal building has developed a horrible cancerous growth. I noticed it was labeled "Modernism and Postmodernism overlap".
But The Hearst Tower in Manhattan is stunningly beautiful.

The first site gives this, which I found interesting: Postmodernism is hard to define. Many opinions differ about whether it is a period, a set of styles, or a broader set of politics and ideologies. The term has described fashions throughout the years as well as media driven political campaigns in the 1990s. Modernism seems easier to pinpoint. The term "modern" means present or contemporary. In the art world the term expresses the self-consciousness of something that relates itself to the past. Increased technology advances and urban development helped modernity. Modernism and Postmodernism overlap. There is no precise moment of transition between the two. Postmodern art often does parodies or reproductions while Postmodern architecture steps out of the box to think of eye catching designs that may not even serve as functional.

Jackie #179325 09/29/08 12:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The comfort in this is that in spite of all this labelling and smart or vague terminologies, beautiful things are being created.
People can invent definitions and pretty new words; it stands apart from what is made.
And trust your own eyes.

(If you feel like leafing through this)

Great Buildings .com

Jackie #179328 09/29/08 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
Thanks, Branny, your explanation helps a lot. Man-- This building is just...wrong; it looks as though a normal building has developed a horrible cancerous growth. I noticed it was labeled "Modernism and Postmodernism overlap".

Gehry wears the Emperor's New Clothes.

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie #179330 09/29/08 01:12 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
And furthermore, for all I know, Modernism hasn't found Tasmania yet! So there!

Oh you're definitely right about that! But then I'm only a naturalized Tasmaniac.

BranShea #179331 09/29/08 01:43 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Postmodern Art
Basically postmodern thinking started in the Arts and Architecture.

Not quite I think, though it depends on how you use the term I guess. Postmodern thinking definitely starts with philosophy and theology, and can be traced back to its roots in the Christian subjectivism of Kierkegaard and the atheistic nihilism of German philosophers, and the pessimistic humanism of the early 20th century in the wake of World War 1, all of which challenged some of the basic assumptions and aspirations of Modernism. Postmodern architecture and Art are symptoms, not the cause. The term itself may only have been popularly applied to philosophy recently, but the concepts and schools of thought were there long before we called it Post Modernism.

Quote:
In the forties Architecture was still straightforward, lines and windows straight and harmonious. From within the arts a contra movement came up. Borrowing from all sorts of styles from the past these elements could be brought together in a yet functional way of building.

Not all architecture was like that. The Art Deco movement began earlier than the forties, and the architecture of Antoni Gaudi (1852-1926) had very few straight lines and was as weird as anything built before or since. Postmodern architecture was not the first that borrowed and blended all sorts of styles either. That has happened throughout architectural history, creating some hideous chimeras.

One of the confusing things is that Modern Art (the art movement that grew out of post-Impressionism, into Expressionism, Cubism, Surrealism, etc and occupied much of the 20th Century) has post-modern philosophical underpinnings and is not a product of philosophical Modernism.

Quote:
Still I am of opinion that the real roots ly in the Dada movement of the interbellum period.This is rehashed art.

Dada was not art at all. That was the point of Dada. It was self-consciously anti-Art. It was an attempt at setting up a kind of paradox - its point was that it was pointless, its art was in its non-art. It was a kind of artistic feedback process that in the end I think proved the rule by being the exception and made you able to recognise what Art is by comparing it with Dada. It was like the negative space around an object that enables you to identify it. It was the art world equivalent of the sound of one hand clapping.

BranShea #179335 09/29/08 02:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in the Dada movement of the interbellum period

Just a nit, but dada started in Zurich during the First World War, and it pretty much exhausted itself before the first decade of the entre deux guerres. Two good books on pomo fiction are Brian McHale's Postmodernist Fiction (1987) and Constructing Postmodernism (1992).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #179340 09/29/08 03:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, I'm sure your right zmjezhd, but what's in a date? Things start somewhere at sometime and it to call it all over is never quite true. Currents once started move on upground or underground. You can call Magritte a DADA man if you want. Once Art was declared dead it lived on happily ever after.
Philosophers may claim postmodernism (thePook) as their sublime invention, however choatic it alll may be.
Artist claim it as their invention, it's just nothing new. The
tiranny of 'New!' and the label 'New!'just overrules the fact that hardly anything presented as such is no more than a variation on an old theme. If the variation is interesting and
passionating to see or hear or read ... than what more do you want?

BranShea #179342 09/29/08 04:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can call Magritte a DADA man if you want.

I'd call him more a surrealist, and I would've never called him late to dinner. When I think dada, I think Tzara, Duchamp, Man, Picabia, Ball, Hennings, Arp, Huelsenbeck, Ernst, Baader, et al.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #179346 09/29/08 07:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yap. \:\) I said 'if you want' and if you don't you don't.
I meant that surrealism could be seen as closely related to Dada, as the more intuitive container of the the absurd, die Verfremdung, where as Dada is more cerebral, philosophical, focussed on form and abstractions, but also tending to Verfremdung (is there an English word for this?)
Take Magritte's painting "ceci n' èst pas une pipe" for instance.
I've always liked the Dada mouvement. And Magritte's paintings, though he uses his paint dry and poorly.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith