Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#178270 07/26/08 05:40 AM
Z
Zed Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Z
What is the word or phrase for the arch of blue on the western horizon on a cloudy day? I think it promises a clear day tomorrow.
I tried the reverse dictionary and got words like azure, Seattle International Airport and duck. ???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
I think it promises a clear day tomorrow

Isn't that just what it means? A segment of promise ? \:\)

Often the sunset sky predicts the weather for the next day.
Yesterday at sunset there was a deep red sun sort of dropping from dark grey clouds. That means rain and sunshine for now. A red dawn promises rain.
It's caught in a popular saying:
" morning-red, water in the ditch; evening-red, nice weather aboard." (can't make it rhyme in English)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: BranShea

" morning-red, water in the ditch; evening-red, nice weather aboard." (can't make it rhyme in English)

The English language version is "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailors take warning." Probably hard to make that one rhyme in Nederlandsk.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: BranShea

The English language version is "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailors take warning."

some versions say "shepherds" for "sailors", and the version the Gospels doesn't use either.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course, the "sailor" version doens't have anything to do with the weather. The 'red sky at night' part means there's a riot in town. The townies are mad at the sailors for stealing all their women and the sailors are burning the downtown area. The 'red sky at morning' part means that the shore patrol has come with their paddy wagons with the flashing red lights and are hauling off any sailors stupid enough to hang around that long.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Of course, the "sailor" version doens't have anything to do with the weather. The 'red sky at night' part means there's a riot in town. The townies are mad at the sailors for stealing all their women and the sailors are burning the downtown area. The 'red sky at morning' part means that the shore patrol has come with their paddy wagons with the flashing red lights and are hauling off any sailors stupid enough to hang around that long.

thanks. I didn't know that and its always interesting to learn the origins of folk sayings.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Zed
What is the word or phrase for the arch of blue on the western horizon on a cloudy day? I think it promises a clear day tomorrow.
I tried the reverse dictionary and got words like azure, Seattle International Airport and duck. ???

pretty sure its none of those...

old hand
old hand

Source? This sounds like what we would call a furphy to me. \:\/

old hand
old hand
I'm curious as to how the sunset should predict the next day's weather when in the Northern Hemisphere your weather comes from the East? I can see how it could possibly work down here on the bottom side of the globe where our weather goes West to East, but surely when you face the sunset you're looking towards yesterday's weather aren't you?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

The paddy wagons will come and get you for spreading falsifications and yes I can make it rhyme easy.

Rood by nacht, schipper slaap zacht! Rood in de morgen, schipper's zorgen ; oops, it was just the other way around, so...

You know all these sailor's words come from Dutch and English together. Ask the house-lingoist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith