Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#177923 07/03/08 09:38 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I've come across this phrase - "a diabolical liberty" - a few times recently, most notably in a Jeffrey Archer book. I've never heard it before. A Google search comes up with some bands, comics, and movies, all from the UK, which, combined with Archer's use, leads me to believe it's from across the pond.

Am I to assume it's approximately equivalent to "giving someone enough rope to hang himself" or a "double-edged sword"?

Is there any known etymology?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's an entry for diabolical from OED2 which you may find to be helpful:

3. slang. In weakened sense: outrageous, disgraceful; disgracefully bad. Also, used as an intensive, esp. in diabolical liberty.
1958 B. BEHAN Borstal Boy III. 231 Why ain't I given a chance to follow my trade in 'ere, eh?..It's a diabolical liberty. Geezers get no chance to follow their trade. 1965 Listener 30 Sept. 507/2 A parody piece..which took diabolical liberties with Eurovision song contests, British Beatlemania and other suitable themes. 1972 MITTON & MORRISON Community Project in Notting Dale 69 The names he called those kids round there was diabolical for any vicar. 1982 S. TOWNSEND Secret Diary A. Mole 94 Asked our postman about communications between Tunisia and England. He said they were ‘diabolical’. 1986 Observer 16 Feb. 50/4 From my point of view that pitch was dangerous. In fact, it was diabolical.

M
M
I wasn't sure that I'd ever heard or read carnal license, but maybe I had; an exact wording Google search fetched 182 results. Might diabolical liberty and carnal license be alike in meaning, sometimes anyway?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
" The peasants mistook spiritual liberty for carnal license."
- Schaff, VII, §75, "The Peasants' War: 1523-1525"

"My opinion is that it is better that all the peasants be killed than that the princes and magistrates perish, because the rustics took the sword without divine authority. The only possible consequence of their satanic wickedness would be the diabolic devastation of the kingdom of God. "
(Letter to Nicholas Amsdorf at Magdeburg, from Wittenberg.)

From here "carnal licence" looks more like "licence to kill".
( 007 again )

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
" The peasants mistook spiritual liberty for carnal license."
- Schaff, VII, §75, "The Peasants' War: 1523-1525"

"My opinion is that it is better that all the peasants be killed than that the princes and magistrates perish, because the rustics took the sword without divine authority. The only possible consequence of their satanic wickedness would be the diabolic devastation of the kingdom of God. "
(Letter to Nicholas Amsdorf at Magdeburg, from Wittenberg.)

From here "carnal licence" looks more like "licence to kill".
( 007 again )

Both quotes concern Martin Luther's reaction to the peasants' uprising in (from memory, don't quote me on the date) ca 1525. "Carnal license" means giving free reign to 'the flesh' (which means the sinful human nature). The peasants, in Luther's view, were simply venting their uncontrolled hatred and fury in an orgy of violence. Though he didn't recommend either, Luther preferred even Tyranny to Anarchy, since at least in Tyranny the basic infrastructure of society remains intact, and there is less bloodshed. Maybe if Luther was President of the US in 2002 the course of recent history might have been different...

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I wonder if diabolical liberty might be another expression for the tendency of the Neocons to circumscribe our "liberty" with restrictions intended to promote our comfort and safety but which in the long run restrict our freedoms (Luther's 'anarchy'?), tending to the creation of a police state (his 'tyranny'?)

Last edited by dalehileman; 07/04/08 03:10 PM.

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
That's what I thought, more or less, and all the defs flummoxed me! It seemed to be a deliberately oxymoronic phrase, pointing out that while freedom is highly desirable, it also has its "diabolical" drawbacks. :0)

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Those who wold give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety--Ben Franklin

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
That's what I thought, more or less, and all the defs flummoxed me! It seemed to be a deliberately oxymoronic phrase, pointing out that while freedom is highly desirable, it also has its "diabolical" drawbacks. :0)

I suppose the original (and literally diabolical!)concept of "diabolical liberty" (though not the phrase itself) is that offered by the serpent in Genesis 3. The knowlege of good and evil gained by an autonomous declaration of independence from God comes at the price of suffering the consequences of becoming evil, namely estrangement from God.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: dalehileman
I wonder if diabolical liberty might be another expression for the tendency of the Neocons to circumscribe our "liberty" with restrictions intended to promote our comfort and safety but which in the long run restrict our freedoms (Luther's 'anarchy'?), tending to the creation of a police state (his 'tyranny'?)

Ironically the Iraq War/"War on Terror" seems to have achieved both simultaneously. In Iraq it has resulted in Anarchy in the name of providing Liberty from Tyranny. And in Western coalition countries it is resulting in a drift towards Tyranny by the erosion of Liberties in the name of protection from the forces of Anarchy. Oh what tangled webs...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith