Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't find it, but perhaps someone else can. think of some other names for nicknames and that'd put us on the right track.

formerly known as etaoin...
I think I'm more interested in the link to "conventions" (which I take to be guidelines for proper etiquette). The following is the listed URL (which leads to 404ville):
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=17030

If I'm mistaken about the contents there, let's not bother with finding it, if it still exists. Thanks for the help.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yow--thank you very much, Bigwig Rabbit--I hadn't realized the link was no good; the conventions one, I mean. I think I finally found out why, but there's not a thing I can do about it. I found this page (look for 9/7/05 and 9/9/05), and remembered I had made Sparteye's post sticky. The link both on her post there, and on Musick's in the thread just above it also give the "Not Found" result. Then I tried looking up all of Sparteye's posts, and...the earliest shown is 5/23/05. For whatever reason, her posts before then are not accessible. To me, anyway.
I have tried finding post # 17,030; it's just too frustrating. I think I'll bring this to Anu's attention.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I believe the quote from "The Mad Gardener" was actually written by Lewis Carroll. Garrison Keillor has sung it on his program.

M
M
Lewis Carroll is a pen name used by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.

Last edited by morphememedley; 06/16/08 12:51 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Oops. thanks for the correction.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As a newcomer, who has not participated in l77,000 of your conversations, some of this really is frustrating. You may know what you are talking about, but a newcomer does not. Do you think "hints' for newcomers' could be clarified??

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it's like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the stuff on the page labeled "JO'S HELPFUL HINTS" is somewhat useless, in that much of it refers to a previous incarnation of this site which was called AWADtalk.

in order to be truly HELPFUL, someone should generate an equivalent page, or FAQ, which is applicable to Wordsmith Talk -- I just don't have the time right now (I suspect this is also true for other stalwarts such as Jackie and Faldage) and the eponymous JO long ago decamped from these parts.

and, just as a reminder, Wordsmith his own self leaves us to our own devices; so here we are...

meanwhile, your best bet as a newcomer is to ask direct questions here, specific to an area that is causing you trouble or concern.

Last edited by tsuwm; 06/25/08 09:56 PM.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
As a newcomer, who has not participated in l77,000 of your conversations, some of this really is frustrating. You may know what you are talking about, but a newcomer does not. Do you think "hints' for newcomers' could be clarified??

I am relatively new, but I can give you some suggestions for ways to manage the conversations on these boards.

1. Use the "Forum List" link when you want to post a question or comment starting a new thread. The "General Topics" will guide your choice of thread. If you are stuck, pick "Miscellany". Make the title of your post specific to catch the eye of potential responders. Use this link, also, to find topics of interest to you.

2. Bookmark the "Active Topics: Past 24 Hours" link. If you check this regularly, you can keep an eye on the newest postings.

3. You might lose track of where you have posted (I have!), but you can always find your posts by following the "My Stuff: My Posts" link (it's at the bottom). You can also check anyone else's posts by clicking on the poster's name and scrolling to "View Posts" at the bottom.

4. If you find something too obscure to be familiar to you, you have many choices. Ignore it. Google it. Wiki it. Ask in a post. If you are worried about appearing "dumb", you have the option of sending a PM (Private Message) to anyone asking whatever you like.

5. Be a duck with the frustration. It will ease up as you learn when to do which from #4.

I hope this helps! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy

4. If you find something too obscure to be familiar to you, you have many choices. Ignore it. Google it. Wiki it. Ask in a post. If you are worried about appearing "dumb", you have the option of sending a PM (Private Message) to anyone asking whatever you like.

Remember. There are a lot of people here from all over the world and they know a lot of different obscure things. Some of them (who, me?) just sort of assume that everyone knows all the same stupid stuff as they do, so don't be afraid to ask.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith