About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
uhahihyan

That's close enough for Web purposes. (For the record, I pronounce eye /ʔʌɪ/ and yearn /jɚn/.)

J. Ron Flutterbye

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Same here on the pronunciation. Funny how "ironic" is not usually pronounced "eye yearn ick"... :0)

Soooo, that leads me to "irony". Let's vote: eye run ee or eye earn ee ???

I'll go first: eye earn ee (although I have been known to use the other; I guess I'm bipronuncial on that one...)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Salmon is one of those words, like perfect, where an etymological spelling has confused folks (no l there either). When it was borrowed into Middle English via Norman it was spelled and pronounced without the l: samoun. Later, people who knew some Latin realized that there should be an l in it (i.e., s;a,o, salmonis), and after that it's a hope, skip, and a jump to pronouncing the l. Likewise, perfect came into English as parfit, but after some etymologizing spellifiers got a hold of that one, we ended up, today, spelling and saying perfect. The sound of an l after a vowel and before another consonant is pronounced with secondary articulation (velarized), the so-called dark l (link).

Not to mention walk, talk, calf, calm, palm, balm, caulk and baulk.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Same here on the pronunciation. Funny how "ironic" is not usually pronounced "eye yearn ick"... :0)

Soooo, that leads me to "irony". Let's vote: eye run ee or eye earn ee ???

I'll go first: eye earn ee (although I have been known to use the other; I guess I'm bipronuncial on that one...)

I would say eye-un (where u=schwa). Non rhotic promunciation, no voiced 'r' sound. (IPA ɑeən). For ironing sometimes I would pronounce the 'r' - eye-ronning, though most times I would say eye-uh-ning or eye-ning. But for irony it would be eye-ronny or eye-ruh-nee (ie IPA ɑerəniː)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith