Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are always words in one language that are offencive, and and in an other language, have similar (root) meanings --but a totally different meaning. (and nuance) and are not offensive.

In US, there is, what is called the N word--a word that has a long history of abuse, and it is offense to many.

In Ireland (and i suspect scotland and parts of UK) the same word is used to describe a warm, rich shade of brown (as in 'she bought herself a beautiful new coat of N word brown wool")

(in US i suspect we'd use dark chocolate brown (but chocolate has also been used to describe people, too!)

------------------
the words my parents thought offensive (bloody and bleeding come to mind) had no real significance in US.

other word, they "heard" as nice euphemisms. (so they didn't like us to use arse, but never made a peep at the word ass..)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Transit to old Egypt now?

>Kung over for tea and cakes in the gazebo. This proto-Egyptian? :~)
Thanks for that link with the outrageous extensions of Hottentot
plus other wordy things I long forgot. Really terrible.

I guess Helen, we are just a bit less careful with political correctness and offensive use of words, because the eufemisms are
often just hypocritical. We call white white again and black, after a period of changing from one eufemism to the other. But you are right, of course sensiblities are different in different countries.

black, both parties. (the saying is: we like to call the child by its name)

Oh, this does not mean we use crude words all the time.

old hand
old hand
I love coming to these boards and getting a chuckle! Just so you know, Bran and Troy, sensibilities are different in different rooms in my parts! Most of the time, "black" and "african american" are used interchangeably, and even in the same sentence. Yet I know some are offended by one or the other (though they may say nothing, or merely use their word of choice deliberately after you have used the other). Personally, I greatly dislike the term "Caucasian", as I am not from Russia, nor anywhere near it, nor do I have any ancestry from the area. I'd rather be called "white", although I am truly sort of pinky-beige, or something. But I find that when people are struggling to be PC, they are thinking less about what they really mean to say and how to convey their thoughts clearly and carefully, which is a shame. :0)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Huttese... I was referring to the language that Jabba the Hutt spoke in reference to the quotation.

I wonder if that's what they speak in the Hutt River Principality?
There is actually a guy in Western Australia who seceded from the Commonwealth and declared his farming property a separate Province, back in the 1980s. Later he promoted himself to Prince and proclaimed it a Principality.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
But I find that when people are struggling to be PC, they are thinking less about what they really mean to say and how to convey their thoughts clearly and carefully, which is a shame. :0)

Agree.It makes things foggy. Caucasion has always puzzled me. I always hear it, mostly in crime series or for missing persons. The Kaukasus is a Rus. mountain range. Do they see that as the origin of white populations? (Yeh, I like the laugh and the chuckle, but I'm curious for all sorts of thoughts and stuff too.
 Quote:
ThePook: "There is actually a guy in Western Australia....

When the old fox is gone "His Royal Highness Crown Prince Ian" will be given a microcoronation?

Last edited by BranShea; 06/15/08 12:26 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's Wikipedia on the origin of the term Caucasian for the racial type. For those of y'all who don't accept Wikipedia as a good source, they do list several external references.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
Caucasian has always puzzled me. I always hear it, mostly in crime series or for missing persons. The Kaukasus is a Rus. mountain range. Do they see that as the origin of white populations?

Yes that is the origin of the terminology.

Originally Posted By: Branshea
 Quote:
ThePook: "There is actually a guy in Western Australia....

When the old fox is gone "His Royal Highness Crown Prince Ian" will be given a microcoronation?

I suppose he will! And then in his coronation parade he will give from his royal carriage a 'microwave' perhaps?

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
\:D

And, well said:

Quote:
Yes that is the origin of the terminology.

For that's all it is.

M
addict
addict
M
Back to hottentot...
So in Dutch, it's known to mean stammer (and German hotteren-totteren = stutter according to askoxford), but it's not considered offensive.
Is it really possible to refer to group as "those people with a speech impediment" without thinking it might be just a tiny bit, oh, insensitive?
It seems to me that wishing on piebald horses would be a successful business there. (^_^)
(In case that doesn't "translate": If you make a wish on a piebald (spotted) horse without thinking about its tail, the wish will come true.)

Myridon #177546 06/18/08 04:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"those people with a speech impediment"

The people, formerly called Hottentots, did not suffer from speech impediments, unless, of course, not being able to speak Afrikaans or English is taken to be a disorder. (Non-natives speakers as stutters and stammers is a trope in ancient times, e.g., the Greeks called all barbarians so because they stammered (or said bar bar bar).) Jokes and stories told by groups about their neighbors falls under the heading of blason populaire in folklore. (See link and link.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith