Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Owlbow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
My Dad would have made a good priest. I'm sure he thought about it before his marriage. At times, I do find myself asking, “What would Dad think”. That's a subtle kind of preaching don't you think Jackie?
It's my Mom that just passed. Was she the tanager? As I think about this, it seems that we're all birds - ‘better than worms I guess. After work this morning, I'm off to our friend Amber's memorial. One of the wonderful things that she did was to encourage and facilitate our singing (like birds in some cases) and music playing. Her husband Rudy asked me to write an article about her. When he called, I was in the middle of writing something about our Mom to my brother & sister. I'm a little overwhelmed, but I'm glad for the life all around me that is so obvious & beautiful at this time of year. Oh well - I do go on, but I'm not self-conscious about it - I so infrequently do.

I'll surely consider your suggestion mmm. I would be foolish to question your ideas on anything morphic.

I think my question was poorly stated, but I appreciate all the input. I was wondering if there is a more specific term for the human soul -> animal representation.

Owlbow #177254 06/07/08 06:07 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, Owl, some native americans believe that each person has a correspondent animal whose spirit represents that person, and for whom that animal holds special meaning. I've seen this called "spirit totem", "animal totem" "spirit animal" ("animal spirit"). Perhaps one of those would work? You seem to already have your own. :0)

Last edited by twosleepy; 06/07/08 06:49 PM.
twosleepy #177255 06/07/08 06:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
native americans

Some Native Americans are Christians and others are atheists. (I have a friend who is half Cayuga Iroquois and half Jewish, but who is a secular humanist.) AFAIK, the religious beliefs of the Native Peoples in the US, Canada, and Mexico were almost as varied as their languages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #177256 06/07/08 06:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes, zmjezhd, you are entirely correct. I neglected to put in the word "some", which I have amended. Please forgive any unintended offense... :0)

twosleepy #177257 06/07/08 07:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I've seen this called "spirit totem", "animal totem" "spirit animal" ("animal spirit").

Do you have some extra information about whether they did know by life which animal was their spirit totum or did they get confronted with it in the hour of their death? A mosquito or some unpleasantly buzzing bug wouldn't be encouraging to dy for.

A bird, I guess we all would like to be a bird spirit.

BranShea #177259 06/08/08 05:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: A bird, I guess we all would like to be a bird spirit.

no i don't think so..

i don't dislike birds, but... i don't think of myself as a bird spirit..

me? i am hippo.. large, (dangerous), surprizingly graceful.. but at times ungainly.. (think of the lovely pink tutu'd hippo's dancing ballet in Fantasia.. think of being a hippo spirit... light on their toes, but crushing things they land on... Yup, that's me!

of troy #177260 06/08/08 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
think of being a hippo spirit

Thanks for the grin. I am reminded of how many of the people one meets who believe in metempsychosis are all of a certain class of reincarnations. How many folks have told me they used to be knights errant, Mesopotamian or Cherokee princesses, Egyptian priestesses, etc. I've yet to meet a 13th century French peasant or a 19th Cockney day laborer. Do all those souls go into the great heavenly tip? Maybe everybody was royal back in the day. Me, my animal totem is a trilobite or maybe a Strigiphilus garylarsoni.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #177262 06/08/08 04:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you have to keep bear in mind that there were a lot fewer souls back in the day — those peasants, peons, esne, serfs and drudges are spread mighty thin these days, and didn't have much bearing in the first instance.

-joe (supreme universal grand panjandrum) friday

Last edited by tsuwm; 06/08/08 07:39 PM.
zmjezhd #177265 06/08/08 06:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
Thanks for the grin. I am reminded of how many of the people one meets who believe in metempsychosis are all of a certain class of reincarnations. How many folks have told me they used to be knights errant, Mesopotamian or Cherokee princesses, Egyptian priestesses, etc.

Me, I'm positively sure I'm here for the first time.
That's why I still have to get used to it.

BranShea #177266 06/08/08 06:05 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
>I've seen this called "spirit totem", "animal totem" "spirit animal" ("animal spirit").

Do you have some extra information about whether they did know by life which animal was their spirit totum or did they get confronted with it in the hour of their death? A mosquito or some unpleasantly buzzing bug wouldn't be encouraging to dy for.

A bird, I guess we all would like to be a bird spirit.

I'm winging it here, so anyone feel free to correct me... Most animal totems were/are assigned to babies, usually by a shaman or village elder, but I think parents could, also, if they have strong feelings. In any case, some traditions hold that you have more than one, so you may choose one for yourself. There wouldn't be much point, though, in waiting until you were dying, because the totem is meant to be a life guide; but I can't say that might never happen.

I don't know what animal (or animals) it would be for me. I used to dream of being a deer and a dolphin when I was younger, but as an adult I have been consistently drawn to dragons. :0)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith