Next Thread
Print Thread
#176150 04/21/08 08:31 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
I'm not sure I'm in the right forum though this does have to do with an agency looking for writers. According to an AP story entitled Online writing platforms attract new writers circa March 30, several new sites, like Heliu8um, ThisIsByUs, and Associated Content "...dangle micro amounts of pay to amateur writers..."

As it sounds too good to be true, and if any of our participants might wish to look into the subject and if you have the same reaction s I did, here's a query I transmitted to Helium

If I get a reply I will append it

Sirs:

I have written a book of 77,000 words entitled “The World .... in Short Words,” purporting to explain the Universe to the young man and written entirely (except for footnotes) in words of one syllable

Forgive me but I can’t cope with a huge site like Helium and while I suppose they might be found somewhere therein, it might take me three weeks just to uncover the critical answers so I hope you can quickly rejoin to just a few questions. Forgive me also if I have used the wrong “Contact Us” and if so I hope you will forward this message

1) Is your service entirely gratis and if not is there a fee of some sort to the writer, how much is it, and is it applied just once

2) If you should accept my MS how am I repaid; that is, do I get one-time remuneration or can I expect royalties and typically if my work should prove popular how are they calculated

3) By submitting the ms to Helium do I lose the rights to it permanently or if it proves unsuccessful, for how long

4) Do you need to know anything else about me and if there is a link to a form I must complete, what page is it found on and what is its title

5) I note you accept the ms in Windows/Word. Would I transmit it as an attachment to email and if so please provide an appropriate address

–Thank you–Dale Hileman, Apple Valley, CA

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: dalehileman
...it sounds too good to be true

...and therefore probably is...

Have you looked into Lulu.com? It doesn't cost anything to upload, basic fee for your own copy, some cost if you want it advertised. Huge variety of printing options, as well.

tempus edax rerum
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Mav thank you I shall

dalehileman
enthusiast
enthusiast
Lulu is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't have a clue where to look since our local printer retired.
Thanks you so much Maven.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are other services besides Lulu.. try kinko's too.

you can upload (manuscript) and then have it printed (in several different styles/prices) at ANY KINKO's in the world..

and now that kinko's =fedex, you can also (for a fee) the same mailed off (if someone lives far away from a kinko's

stuff can be published on demand, (no inventory to deal with)
printed on demand (want a 1--spiral bound copy? or a 2--perfect bound copy or some other 3--binding? 1 cost X, 2 cost Y, 3 cost Z)

(and customer pays kinko' and sends you a 'credit'!)

(or customer pays you, via pay pal, and you pay kinko's.)

there is often less than 24 hour 'turn around'--great customer service..

there are a number of knitting books published this way. (especially stuff for re-enacters.. patterns for (and from) 1860's (US civil war) and re-engineered patterns for felted hats, and other stuff(from 1500's or other times)(theres alot of stuff around from 1500's and its not that hard to re-engineer a pattern)

I've use Lulu and Kinko's and Lulu is cheaper unless you need assistance in prepping a print ready electronic version. HTH

tempus edax rerum
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thanks to all you guys and here as promised is the most kind and helpful reply from Rachel at Helium

1) Is your service entirely gratis and if not is there a fee of some sort to the writer, how much is it, and is it applied just once

There is no fee for use of Helium. In fact, Helium pay you based on reads of your articles.

2) If you should accept my MS how am I repaid; that is, do I get one-time remuneration or can I expect royalties and typically if my work should prove popular how are they calculated

Helium is for writing articles rather than manuscripts. Articles are around 1500 words and are on any subject that you wish to write about. Use the search box at the top of the site to locate areas of interest. You get paid on an ongoing basis for ever, although will not reap the benefits until you have a fair amount of articles. It is worth the investment.

3) By submitting the ms to Helium do I lose the rights to it permanently or if it proves unsuccessful, for how long

You do not lose your rights when you submit an article to Helium, UNLESS you submit to one of the marketplaces that asks for exclusive rights.

4) Do you need to know anything else about me and if there is a link to a form I must complete, what page is it found on and what is its title

No, although if you write back and tell me more about yourself, I can guide you through the maze !

5) I note you accept the ms in Windows/Word. Would I transmit it as an attachment to email and if so please provide an appropriate address

Your articles are posted directly to the site by you. Press the subject, press the pencil marker and this takes you to a field where you can post your work. Spell check, exit spellcheck, and make sure you have paragraphs intact. Never use indentations as these do not work on the site.

If I can help you further, just let me know.

Rachel

Helium Mentors.

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith