About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
elucidate for the uninitiated please

By glove maker's son I meant Shaksper. But not the Shakespeare of the Stratfordians, but the one of the Oxfordians. But I think my memory has been playing tricks on me, and the Oxfordians call him the malt merchant or the actor. Be that as it may. Anywho. I picked the words mole and set pretty much at random. They are words that have a whole bunch of meanings. Drive, I picked because a member of this board has it as his hobby horse of persiflage. On the whole, a weak but ambiguous post on my part. I'd delete it, but it's already drawn attention, and I am too weary to push the buttons to make it so ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: CRBW
When sales clerks or supermarket checkers ask me how I am, I generally say "vibrant," and sometimes also "radiant." They typically pay no notice, of course, even though these descriptors might seem out of character for a 70-year-old man. I've tried using "ebullient" too, which just brings blank stares. I have yet to try the military version, "e-f***in'-bullient," but I have my doubts if that would do any better.

LOL! I do enjoy a well-placed infix. Welcome, CRBW.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
 Originally Posted By: CRBW
I have yet to try the military version, "e-f***in'-bullient," but I have my doubts if that would do any better.

LOL! I do enjoy a well-placed infix. Welcome, CRBW.

There's a name for inserting an expletive between syllables of a word, but I forget what it is. No doubt zthingy will come up with it. The practice is very common in Aussie slang.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
one (rhetorical) term is tmesis.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tmesis

Tmesis as a grammatical term refers to what are called separable prefixes in German grammar (link). It means literally 'cutting' and is cognate with entomos 'insect' (as in entomology, and which is a calque in Latin) and atom.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, and from the same link

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes

Yes, I meant in addition to its use as a rhetorical term and a modern one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
M
M
A relative of mine, long deceased, would often answer the how-are-you question with “medinary.” Family members have guessed that he combined part of medium and part of ordinary on his own to form the word. I did a quick Google search for it. Among the results I found one and only one non-medical instance of medinary used in the same way, in a 1955 Earl Tucker editorial in the Thomasville (AL) Times. Here's part of the passage containing it:
 Quote:
During the day lots of people asked me how I was feeling and I said fine how are you feeling and they were feeling fine too. Now I’m pretty sure not one of the thirty or more who asked me really cared whether I was fine, poorly, medinary or had a splitting headache.

The theory that our relative coined the word I now doubt.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Today's word has this as part of its etymology: [From Latin ... diminutive of pullus
(young of an animal) ...]

Is this why small chickens are called pullets?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Young bulls bullets?
Pusillanimous, think you are going to use it, Jackie?
I think I'll just go on calling myself a coward.

Hey, wasn't there someone called Titus Pullus?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith