Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Ever bin on planet Biggerbun?

We LIVE on planet Biggerbun, silly!!! LOLOLOL!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, the famous case of the woman who mistook a continent for a planet.

old hand
old hand
Well, you know us Americans: we think we ARE the planet... ;0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know some good Americans who think.

old hand
old hand
Well, what can you expect from a country that calls their domestic competition in a sport that is played by very few other countries the "World Series"?

(...and yes I do know why it's really called that, I'm just being facetious)

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Ooh, I don't know, why is it called that?

Zed #174479 03/11/08 01:50 AM
old hand
old hand
Baseball is played in many other countries, and is also the national sport of the following nations (not, however, included in the World Series): Cuba, Republica Dominicana, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Taiwan and Venezuela. It is also the most popular sport in Japan. The world loves the sport, but the World Series only loves North America! So Zed, the answer lies in the early days of the sport, which is, indeed, American, and therefore the "world championship series" consisted of American teams, because they were the only ones around! It got shortened to "world series" later. :0)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Baseball is played in many other countries, and is also the national sport of the following nations (not, however, included in the World Series): Cuba, Republica Dominicana, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Taiwan and Venezuela. It is also the most popular sport in Japan. The world loves the sport, but the World Series only loves North America! So Zed, the answer lies in the early days of the sport, which is, indeed, American, and therefore the "world championship series" consisted of American teams, because they were the only ones around! It got shortened to "world series" later. :0)

Isn't it called the World Series because it was played at the World Stadium?

I know it is the favourite sport of Japan. But it still remains true that very few countries play it much or watch it, compared to other truly world sports like football, basketball or even motor racing. The world does not love the sport by any meaningful definition of the word 'world'.

Measured by the number of countries that play it or have it as their number one game, the most popular is of course football (soccer). However, to restore some bragging rights to the good ole US of A, the second most widespread sport (by number of countries) would almost certainly be be an American sport, namely basketball.

Now, if we are talking about spectating rather than participating, the most popular by a long way would still be soccer. But the next most popular (by population, not by number of countries playing it) would be cricket (believe it or not)! Over 3 billion people watch cricket, since it is the most popular sport of the Indian subcontinent (where half the world's population live) plus the former British Commonwealth countries (with the exception of Canada where ice hockey reigns supreme!).

Baseball a World game? Well, maybe, but it wouldn't be in the top ten I'd bet, by most ways of measuring it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Baseball a World game? Well, maybe, but it wouldn't be in the top ten I'd bet, by most ways of measuring it.

I found this site: http://ezinearticles.com/?Most-Popular-Sports-Around-The-World&id=551180 which has some interesting surprises. The rankings are based on participants + watchers, which seems fair. Baseball comes out around 7th, tied with a bunch. What do you think?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
boy, howdy! you have to actually *read that article to find the rankings!

-joe (they're not making lists like they used to) friday

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith