About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
The point I was making was that a 'diminutive' denotes not just the affix itself, but the resulting word, which is bigger than the word was before the affix was affixed.

The diminutive refers not to the affix or the word, but usually the referent.

Well, it refers also to the word in one sense, as in the word pookaroonie being a diminutive of the word pook. But the meaning of the word diminutive (in this context) comes from the referent if that's what you mean. It's called a diminutive not because it diminishes the word, but because it diminishes the person the word stands for. A nickname diminishes a person's social standing. It makes them lesser in relation to you.

A diminutive can be formed by changing or subtracting from a word as well by adding an affix. Bill is a diminutive of William. But Billy is a further diminutive of Bill.

I've copied this reply to the new thread, best to continue this interesting discussion there maybe?
http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post173918

Last edited by The Pook; 02/23/08 03:40 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what's a nom-de-ouaibbe?

Bad transcription in vacan French of English web. Avatar, user id or name. That sort of thing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as in the word pookaroonie being a diminutive of the word pook

I'd read this as pookeroonie is the diminutive form of Pook.

A nickname diminishes a person's social standing. It makes them lesser in relation to you.

I'm sorry you took it that way. As mentioned before, a diminutive is often used as an affectionate hypocoristic form. It increases (or augments) your standing within the social group. Though, I'm sure if you take offense to a nickname, folks here-abouts will cease using it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
as in the word pookaroonie being a diminutive of the word pook

I'd read this as pookeroonie is the diminutive form of Pook.

A nickname diminishes a person's social standing. It makes them lesser in relation to you.

I'm sorry you took it that way. As mentioned before, a diminutive is often used as an affectionate hypocoristic form. It increases (or augments) your standing within the social group.

Thanks for saying this. It expresses what I was thinking when I read Pook's words.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a diminutive is often used as an affectionate 'deed. :-)

[complete and total aside: I'm sitting here absolutely jamming to Split Enz' Spellbound. I looked up more of the discography/lyrics today; no wonder I couldn't understand this word: Taniwha!]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Jackie
a diminutive is often used as an affectionate 'deed. :-)

[complete and total aside: I'm sitting here absolutely jamming to Split Enz' Spellbound. I looked up more of the discography/lyrics today; no wonder I couldn't understand this word: Taniwha!]

New Zealandish?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Jackie
[color:#6600CC] Taniwha!

In Aotearoa, they even have the power to delay the building of roads.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
New Zealandish? That's them! I went to see Tim Finn in concert last week.

In Aotearoa, they even have the power to delay the building of roads. I read that! I wish now that I'd looked that up before going to the concert: the young man playing guitar with him was at least part Maaori; MAN that kid could riff!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>>>Affectionate diminutive

Aye, I think most diminutive use is affectionate.

A diminutive used to demean or diminish someone is very evident; there is no misconstruing it.

For example, Fred and William are in an argument that is getting heated. Fred, in an agressive, angry or baiting tone says, "listen up Billy boy" when he would generally refer to William as Bill. In that case, Billy boy is a diminutive.

If you're very sensitive about it Pook, you might want to let us know since the moniker you chose is one that invites cute add-ons and you seemed genial enough, so it is not surprising that folks would greet you affectionately.

Also, throwing out a challenge as to discovering the provenence of the name seemed playful, and an invitation to cameraderie. Again, if we were mistaken, then it would be good to know.

Last edited by belMarduk; 02/24/08 04:42 PM.
old hand
old hand
1. No I'm not sensitive. It is after all, not my name, but just a handle, and yes it was a playful gesture.
2. You misunderstood what I said about diminutives applying to the referent by diminishing them socially. That's not the same as demeaning someone. Even an affectionate nickname reduces, minimises, the social distance between you and the one the diminutive is applied to. It puts them on the same level as you. Whether this is rude or not depends on the ACTUAL relationship between the people. If you were to go up to the President of the USA (assuming you are not known to him) and say "Hey Georgie baby!" it probably would be taken as inappropriate.

But let me make it quite clear - you may desecrate my handle in any way you wish and it won't upset me.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith