Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry I do this all in one post.I'm mostly sound asleep when you do the talking.

> Maven, ah, reseda lutea, growing in urban peripherial places and alongside railroad tracks.

>The Pook: Wow! who'd have thought the Scheveningse Old Dutch paint would make it all the way to Tasmania! It is super quality. I have some too. (I hope you will add a homepage or site to your profile.What and how would Tasmanians paint?).

> Latishiya: , the Danish video. We once did a ten days ' biketrip in Denmark with only a little pocket Polyglot. We had great fun with that. Though many words seemed related to ours, we were always fooled. we were great with the litte sentence : "jay ikke verstor". (I do not understand)
" jay" , we thought, meant "you", but no, it means "I".
"ikke" we thougth meant "I", but no, it means "no". Verstor is similar to our word for understand, but the point was always: who was to understand who?

At midday we once took a beer ( øl ) at a wayside Frankfurter
(pølser) - stand.
>> lunch. The word øl looks lik oil and we thougth it might add some fuel to the muscles.We hat to crawl our way up that hill.

> zjmejhzd, I hate to appear ignorant, but at last I'll ask : what do those little cubicles mean?
I tried to look it up but Google takes no ɛ for a question.

Last edited by BranShea; 02/22/08 03:12 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what do those little cubicles mean?

It's the IPA (link) transcription of the pronunciation of the Danish shibboleth.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It also makes me think of this gem from youtube.

Sad, but true. That is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. I worked with a Norwegian for a while, and he would start to rant about Danish at the drop of a hat. Mind you, there are two official, competing versions of Norwegian, and kids have to make a decision sometime early in their schooling which one to go with: Bokmål 'Book Language' (aka Dano-Norwegian) and Nynorsk 'New Norse'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>It's the IPA (link) transcription of the pronunciation of the Danish shibboleth

Aieaye! When I see that page I know I am and will stay ignorant.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aieaye!

It's just like painting with sounds, Bran. Every profession has its terminology.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Jackie, it's really a good question. I had often entertained it whilst writing "The World, as Told to the Young Man" a work of some 77,000 words entirely of one syllable except for the footnotes

Webster's Collegiate is somewhat equivocal. Presumably the hyphen preceding the schwa signifies a syllable. Weald doesn't have it while world does though for the life of me both sound the same

If you'd like to read my book I'd be flattered; I am dalehileman@verizon.net

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>a work of some 77,000 words entirely of one syllable

good gosh! that sounds like some thing for (or by) an eight year old.

-joe (it's not so hard) f.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
For yes but by, I'm not so sure. Have you tried it, might be harder than you suppose

dalehileman
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
It also makes me think of this gem from youtube.

Sad, but true. That is the funniest thing I've heard in weeks. I worked with a Norwegian for a while, and he would start to rant about Danish at the drop of a hat. Mind you, there are two official, competing versions of Norwegian, and kids have to make a decision sometime early in their schooling which one to go with: Bokmål 'Book Language' (aka Dano-Norwegian) and Nynorsk 'New Norse'.

The follow-up youtube video has the two Danes briefly talking about Nynorsk.

Last edited by latishya; 02/22/08 07:33 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Can you say bean in one? Yep--silent a. Or wealth? Yep--silent a. Or wield? Nope

How about wheeled?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith