Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
dalehileman #173247 02/07/08 12:49 AM
P
P
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Sorry, I know this is not word related, but it's such an interesting topic!

*****Indeed it is Porc but be careful as you're treading on very dangerous ground

***...tho I sense you're a much nicer guy than I and so maybe they won't come down on you so hard

I am most definitely NOT a nicer guy than you, Dale, as I am not a guy at all.

And tsuwm (?), I'm afraid I'm not putting you on; I really do have a slight problem with possessives. In fact, I generally prefer to follow my own rules regarding punctuation. I especially like to use the three consecutive periods...though I think they are meant to imply that time has passed...I like their continuity and how they imply that there is something unknown or undefinable...and that they can make unrelated sentences seem related...and also to imply that the thought or concept lingers even after the sentence has ended...

And I love to use commas to construct ridiculously long run-on sentences, connecting one thought to another, without the finality of a period, as I have never been one to be sparing with words or succinct for that matter, and while brevity, if used in an intelligent manner, can be as persuasive as a long-winded sentence, it is just not my style.

Porcupine #173250 02/07/08 02:23 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z

Zed #173264 02/07/08 04:28 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Porc you must be careful about exactitude as I have been roundly condemned and raked over the coals with the utmost acrimony at this and other such boards for that very practice, especially omitting terminal punctuation and alas, for run-on sentences as well

But stick with me and in time they will come around to our way of thinking when they realize how much time is wasted in unnecessary keystrokes

Already I love you

Sorry about my misconception as I suppose I should read the new participants' biographies but after all the day is just so long and I am becoming a rabid screen-sucker. But I like talking to girls but so as not to waste further WS disk space, I am

dalehileman@verizon.net at your service

No Jackie, that means being addicted to Internet activity

dalehileman
dalehileman #173267 02/07/08 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

BranShea #173268 02/07/08 06:05 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Bran than you for that most pertinent link. Join Mel, Porc, and I in our quest to not only save keystrokes but also for more witty threads in less judgmental boards

Bran I love you too

But watch out for omitting the verb lest they get together in their otherwise spotless SUV's plastered with bumper imprecations calling for More Decorous Behavior and descend upon your house shouting slogans of Correct Phraseology whilst brandishing rolled-up Books of Protocol

dalehileman
Porcupine #173273 02/07/08 07:51 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Originally Posted By: Porcupine
I am most definitely NOT a nicer guy than you, Dale, as I am not a guy at all.

And tsuwm (?), I'm afraid I'm not putting you on; I really do have a slight problem with possessives. In fact, I generally prefer to follow my own rules regarding punctuation. I especially like to use the three consecutive periods...though I think they are meant to imply that time has passed...I like their continuity and how they imply that there is something unknown or undefinable...and that they can make unrelated sentences seem related...and also to imply that the thought or concept lingers even after the sentence has ended...

And I love to use commas to construct ridiculously long run-on sentences, connecting one thought to another, without the finality of a period, as I have never been one to be sparing with words or succinct for that matter, and while brevity, if used in an intelligent manner, can be as persuasive as a long-winded sentence, it is just not my style.

HA! I know what you mean about the periods, Porcupine. I've got got watch myself with that all the time.

(Oh, and I was also thought to be a gent when I first joined, but when I realized this, it was just a matter of letting everybody know that I had protuberances, not dangly bits. It's the not-sexually-evident monikers we've adopted, I think.)

For the possisive bit, I found it easier to remember by keeping in mind that it's is really a contraction of "it is" just like don't is a contraction of do not.

belMarduk #173276 02/07/08 08:18 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
bel thank you for that post. For the sake of posterity I have copied and pasted it elsewhere before the Thought Police get on your posterior (no pun intended) or delete it entirely

dalehileman
tsuwm #173278 02/07/08 09:07 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Quote:
the language used in those contracts, carefully chosen by the lender, is enough to obfuscate anyone.

not to turn this into a word thread, but does this use of 'obfuscate' bother anyone?

-joe (it's probly just me) friday

Yes; used to it being applied to something looked at vice a looker [like Bel perhaps].

Last edited by Aramis; 02/07/08 09:22 PM.
Porcupine #173279 02/07/08 09:18 PM
addict
addict
Porky's a girlie? Odd for one to have trouble with anything possessive-related.

Aramis #173291 02/08/08 12:07 AM
P
P
Very funny.

I'm no ordinary girlie. Nor is there such a thing...

There I go with the periods...anyone know if that particular punctuation (the three periods) has an official name?

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith