About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have long wondered about the difference in meaning or usage of the words offer and proffer. My Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary hasn't given me a satisfactory answer, so I thought one of you might be able to. Any takers?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm thinking that perhaps the pronoun "pro" or "pr-" lends connotations of action to the root 'offer'; meaning specifically "to offer forth". Proffer is commonly used in the legal field, for example when plaintiffs proffer hypotheses or case citations to support their claims. "Offer" has more generalized usage; you can "offer" to help someone carry something, but cannot "proffer" to do so (but now that i'm thinking about it, i suppose one could reasonably proffer an offer of assistance). OTOH, i think it's equally correct to "offer" an argument or to "proffer" one, but proffering carries a more aggressive, or active tone.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Makes sense to me, bridget! I proffer you my thanks.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
This sounds right to me too, bridget96. But specifically doesn't proffer carry a sense of 'social diffidence' - an offer that is made out of politeness or some other such constraint?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But specifically doesn't proffer carry a sense of 'social diffidence' - an offer that is made out of politeness or some other such constraint?

Good point, maverick... it occurred to me only as i was reading your post that 'proffer' generally denotes a measure of respect or humility (either genuine, or - in the case of the legal field - [court]imposed diffidence) on the part of the offerer for the person to whom the proffer is being submitted.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
mav asked of proffer an offer that is made out of politeness or some other such constraint?

Wow, how fascinating. While I grasp, and agree with, the sense of proffer you mention, the idea of politeness as a form of constraint has almost never occurred to me. On reflection, I can see that there are times when it has an element of artifice and compulsion about it, yet, for the most part, it seems to me no more of a constraint than respiration.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
no more of a constraint than respiration

Now if only the world would march in step with you, Max...! I think that self-restraint grows from empathy too, though?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I think that self-restraint grows from empathy too, though?

Indubitably. Truth to tell, reading my post after it was sent made me feel slightly ill - the stench of self-righteous priggery was almost overwhelming.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
doesn't proffer carry a sense of 'social diffidence'

I would agree with that, and, further, I believe"proffer" carries a connotation of direct transaction with a specified person or group. You can make an offer to the world in general - especially a "Special Offer - ends next Millennium - hurry and buy" - whereas you "proffer" something to someone in particular - "On behalf of the Misused Word Club, I would like to proffer our thanks to this evening's squeaker, Mrs Malaprop, for an entertaining and enlightening evening."

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
direct transaction with a specified person or group

Yes, I agree with you Rhu - you've caught a good nuance there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith