Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#172982 - 01/29/08 12:07 PM Re: Cingular [Re: Myridon]
tsuwm Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: this too shall pass
if you want to own (for instance) a delorean, you're going to buy a delorean, and in the words of those most able to afford a delorean, it is what it is -- that doesn't mean you have to like the scamster you buy it from, or that you should be forced to carry his logo.

as a more approachable example, if you want a pair of Nikes, you shouldn't expect to have to wear a Macy's logo as well, if that's where you buy them.

We all have to make choices and compromises; wisdom comes in knowing which battles can be reasonably waged.

#172999 - 01/29/08 10:48 PM Re: Cingular [Re: tsuwm]
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I was thinking in even more general terms.
They made an agreement with Belle then completely ignored it and expected their customer to accept this; moreover they lied and said it couldn't be fixed. Whether an issue is minor or vital the dealership should stick to the agreement they have agreed to.

#173000 - 01/29/08 11:28 PM Re: Cingular [Re: Zed]
themilum Offline
veteran

Loc: Aladamnbama the most watered s...
Quote:
We all have to make choices and compromises; wisdom comes in knowing which battles can be reasonably waged.

Wrongo, tsuwm. Wisdom comes with distinguishing which battles must be fought in order to continue allegiance with reality.

What? You want to compromise basic principals for base pragmatism ?

Edited by themilum (01/29/08 11:36 PM)

#173006 - 01/30/08 09:32 AM Re: Cingular [Re: Zed]
belMarduk Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Zed
I was thinking in even more general terms.
They made an agreement with Belle then completely ignored it and expected their customer to accept this; moreover they lied and said it couldn't be fixed. Whether an issue is minor or vital the dealership should stick to the agreement they have agreed to.

Absolutely right. Often, with big corporations, they'll think you don't know any better, or play on the fact that people don't like to be confrontational. Does anybody remember the movie FARGO in which car salesman Lundegaard (William H. Macy) has sprayed "Tru-coat" on a car and the couple buying the car wind up paying for it, even if they refused it in the first place. They're all exasperated, but they pay for it anyway. This happens too many times in real life.

Mind you, I think it throws them off when somebody is confrontational, but with a good humoured smile; they're never quite sure how to handle that.

#173008 - 01/30/08 10:26 AM Re: Cingular [Re: belMarduk]
Maven Offline

Loc: California
It does indeed baffle them.

My husband is usually the one to answer the phone, so he handles most of the telemarketers. In the not so distant past, an agency wanting to 're-shape' our debt called, and cajoled him to sign up to have them lower the interest rates on our cards. When my husband refused, the telemarketer asked "Do you like having debt" to which he responded "I'm just fine with it, yes."

The telemarketer stammered a bit and then said "Have a good evening with your debt, sir" and hung up.

#173013 - 01/30/08 11:23 AM Re: Cingular [Re: Maven]
Jackie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
[drifting e] My husband has always wanted to try what he heard on a radio program: when a carpet/drape cleaning service calls, say, "Oh, yes, there's blood everywhere, all over the carpet and even halfway up the drapes; can you come right now?"

Ooh! I Googled and found this site--no ads. It includes I don't have a phone, why would I need long distance?

I did not peruse much beyond this, so can't say that there isn't anything offensive on there.

#173022 - 01/30/08 03:20 PM Re: Cingular [Re: Jackie]
Buffalo Shrdlu Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
the problem with telemarketers is the caller is just a person that needs a job. there are a lot of other jobs I wish people wouldn't do.

if people would stop buying and giving out info over the phone, telemarketing would stop.

#173027 - 01/30/08 04:31 PM Re: Cingular [Re: Buffalo Shrdlu]
belMarduk Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Aye, but the words, "I'm just doing my job" does not absolve them of anything. These people go into this job knowing that they are universally thought of as unpleasant (hated by some), so they shouldn't be surprised by the emotions they evoke.

My old roomie used to be a telemarketer; successful enough at it to pay his share of the rent and utilities. The ploys they use to hook people are underhanded at best, illegal and mean at worst.

One of the first things they are taught is to keep a person talking, to keep the line open. It is the polite people, who don't know how to hang up, that get hooked into buying things.

The second I find out it is a telemarketer, I say, "I'm not interested" and hang up...unless the call comes in after 9:00 p.m., then I'm rather harsh in telling them that disturbing people after 9:00 is rude and inconsiderate and hang up.

#173028 - 01/30/08 05:00 PM Re: Cingular [Re: belMarduk]
Buffalo Shrdlu Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
> Aye, but the words, "I'm just doing my job" does not absolve them of anything.

hence my second sentence.

#173031 - 01/30/08 06:38 PM Re: Cingular [Re: Buffalo Shrdlu]
belMarduk Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I got that Eta, but you should see these sales techniques; it is amazing how they finagle a yes out of a no.

If people knew how to say no, if they were stronger, if the uneducated knew their rights more, if there weren't too many elderly who were easily taken advantage of, if there weren't too many desperate people...

There are too many ifs to excuse the techniques used by shifty sales people and not enough laws to protect those people they take advantage of. You can't blame a gullible person for being gullible, but you can certainly blame somebody for taking advantage of them.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Jackie 
Forum Stats
8729 Members
16 Forums
13805 Topics
214965 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
BILLH, GrandmaCoo, ShellsnBells, charmingthemuse, toddster
8729 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
LukeJavan8 120
endymion6 110
wofahulicodoc 91
A C Bowden 49
jenny jenny 41
Tromboniator 8
tsuwm 7
FoFong 4
Bazr 3
meliza 1
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10521
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6440
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith