OP Offline
stranger
T
"When you see someone sporting a shirt with the manufacturer's name inscribed
in bold letters across the chest, it's hard to ignore the irony. The wearer
is paying the company to promote its name, rather than vice versa. For the
privilege of being a walking billboard, the purchaser may have paid many
times the normal price of that product." -Anu

Darned right, Anu. I've never understood why people put up with that. It's difficult to avoid when driving a car, as most have the brands visible. But on clothing? 'Splain that one to me, Lucy!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome, Toys!

and agreed. I talk to my kids at school about this very thing. hopefully a few will get it.

formerly known as etaoin...
And yet, finding running shoes that lack some sort of label is tiring. Even if it's not plastered on the side or back, they sneak it into the tread.

I think it reaches a saturation point. I cease to pay attention, and don't consider brand when making a purchase.

tempus edax rerum
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Look at them; they're all wearing advertising on every article of clothing they own. They’re walking billboards!" [Robert Crumb in Crumb (1994).]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I think Maven is right about saturation point. When the name takes up the entire front of the shirt, or sweater, you can't miss it, but when it's just a logo, I won't notice it unless I specifically go looking for it.

It's the price/quality ratio that is important to me; which is why you'll never catch me buying those 800$ shoes. Seriously, the heel on those things is no stronger than a cheaper shoe, so they won't last for more than two seasons until they are either worn out, out of fashion, or inappropriate for the temperature. *

*(I live in Canada, so shoes definitely change depending upon the season. Think open-toed sling-backs in two feet of snow - not a good idea.)

Last edited by belMarduk; 01/28/08 06:54 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Another way the Establishment pulls the wool over our eyes (pun unintended)

dalehileman
T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Another way the Establishment pulls the wool over our eyes (pun unintended)

I don't get it, da hi? Why is your pun unintended? If you didn't intend it you could have changed it. Besides, here in the free states of the United States wethepeople ARE the Establishment and don't you forget it - although it seems Ford Motors has forgotten it - may anathema forever be their name!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ****** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ford Slaps Brand Enthusiasts, Returns Love With Legal Punch

http://www.adrants.com blog Jan-14-08

While brands don't want people using their products, logos and other related imagery to create products of their own, the hammer that Ford dropped on the Black Mustang Club is heavy handed. Recently the club created a calendar which contained images of club members' cars photographed by the members themselves. Ford didn't take kindly to this and asked CafePress - the service chosen to print the calendars - to kill the project claiming the images in the calendar are the exclusive property of Ford Motors...including the Black Mustang Club logo.

It's understandable that Ford would and should do everything it can to protect itself from any kind of potential negative effect, but to attack a group of people who clearly love Fords, simply for showing their love of Fords, is, well, idiotic.

BMC Owner Lisa said to BMC members, "I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members Cars of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor's claim that they own the rights to the all the photos you take of your car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve!"

We too hope that this can be resolved. It's one thing to protect your brandname from being tarnished. It's quite another thing to shoot down the very people who love Ford products the most.

Wake up and smell the CGM, Ford.

Last edited by themilum; 01/28/08 11:02 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I don't get it, da hi? Why is your pun unintended?

***Often a pun is created unintentionally or as the subconscious product of inventive neuron clusters. When this happens it is a time-honored practice of the perpetrator to so identify it

If you didn't intend it you could have changed it.

***Custom calls for leaving it as is but making reference to it as I have. I presume it is done for the benefit of the reader who might not have tumbled

Besides, here in the free states of the United States wethepeople ARE the Establishment and don't you forget it

*** "The Establishment" is a usage coined by Hippies in the '60's referring to those who observe a set of conventions established by the traditional mindset. I use the expr relating to the pervasive manipulation of the masses by the Pols, the Church, the Media, and the commercial interests (Big Money) for the purpose of mind control and profit

**And so the vast majority have come to unquestioningly accept its aims; eg, prominently displaying its logos

**That many members of the Establishment themselves are exploited by their own, supports your idea that we are all its members, but to that extent we cannot be described as free

dalehileman

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith