Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: BranShea

I think, Mr. Milo that you, who once upon a time called tsuwm mean for a single word correction, are cheating us here.
Bats have like us joints, but they have no jointed legs in the meaning of "segmented". And I'm almost sure that this is what's meant here.
Bats have forelimbs that are developped as wings.
No joints different from other mammals.
"as the structure of the open wing is very similar to an outspread human hand with a membrane between the fingers that also stretches between hand and body."

"Arthropods are characterised by having a segmented body with appendages on at least one segment.
All arthropods are covered by a hard exoskeleton made of chitin."

Well, tsuwm is mean sometimes, BranShea, but sometimes he ain't.
You know, like sometimes you are right, and sometimes you are wrong.
(What? You think I shouldn't correct you and tsuwm when you two step out of line?) Of course I should, and now I would like to correct the ancient Jews for designating our friends the bats as unclean and not fit for human consumption.

Question: Bats can hop; so how can they hop if they don't have "joints"?

From the net:

For birds, the criteria is less clear. The Torah provides a list of forbidden birds (Lev. 11:13-19; Deut. 14:11-18), but does not specify why these particular birds are forbidden. All of the birds on the list are birds of prey or scavengers, thus the rabbis inferred that this was the basis for the distinction. Other birds are permitted, such as chicken, geese, ducks and turkeys. However, some people avoid turkey, because it is not mentioned in the Torah, leaving room for doubt.

From the Bible:

"And these you shall have in abomination among the birds, they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the osprey, the kite, the falcon according to its kind, every raven according to its kind, the ostrich, the nighthawk, the sea gull, the hawk according to its kind, the owl, the cormorant, the ibis, the water hen, the pelican, the carrion vulture, The Stork, the heron according to its kind, the hoopoe, and the bat." (Leviticus 11:13-19 RSV)

It is good that the Jews don't eat bats but as a fellow mammal I think that the ancient Jews should apologize for classing our friends the bats as dim-witted reptilian birds and calling them "unclean abominations" that are not to be touched.

Personally I've never touched a "hoopoe" but I've touched bats. Lots of 'em. Am I then an abomination? Or do I get a pass because I'm a kind and gentle gentile of the finest sort?

Last edited by themilum; 01/19/08 06:16 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You get a pass because you're a gentile, gentle or not. The dietary laws of which you speak are required only of Jews. The rest of us are bound only by the Noachian laws which aren't as strict.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Bats have like us joints,"(my own words). You get a pass because you are a gentile and throughout not ungentle. I do not believe in 'abominations' or 'uclean' of bats nor birds either. My post was just about biological differences between bats and mantisses. Nothing more.

BTW. when I see the list of by Torah forbidden birds I've heard that sea gulls must be positively uneatable for tasting terrifyingly bad. So bad even a starving sailor has difficulty to swallow it. Might be the other forbidden ones are no feast either.

Yes, a bat can hop and you can bop and I can do the quickstep (sometime, not all the time..)
That's a lot of levitating Leviticus we got this weekend.

Zed #172743 01/22/08 01:09 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Zed, what is Honey Crunch? I've looked on the net and found popcorn and cereal and a whole pile of unrelated sites.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
oops, I shouldn't have capitalized it, it was a description not a brand.

Imagine the ad campaign though: "Try Honey Crunch for that real grasshopper flavour! "

Zed #172823 01/23/08 11:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And I thought you were talking about the cereal.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You'd better give your Honey Crunch cereal a good second look..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Honey Crunch® cereal has grasshoppers in it?

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Doubtful, but I'll bet you'd find Honey Crunch in the hoppers if they could get it.,

Zed #172844 01/24/08 04:24 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You hadn't capitalized it, Zed. I saw it capitalized on a pile of web sites so it wrote it that way automatically.

I see by the subsequent posts that it is cereal though. I guess it is an English brand since I've never seen it here in Québec. I must be like the Cinnamon Toast Crunch* cereals that I see everywhere except here.

(*It's very odd that. French Quebeckers, as a whole, dislike cinnamon. You never see Cinnamon Eggos, Apple Cinnamon bars from Kellogg or apple pie with cinnamon, on supermarket shelves. I wonder if there are other types of food that are appreciated by one group and disliked by another group living in close proximity.)

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith