(^_^)

a cute little face.

or, too cute by half.

tsuwm #172513 01/12/08 01:40 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ohhhhh. Shoosh, now that I see it, it's so evident. For some reason, my initial thought was that it was some sort of sign between parentheses, like the two squiggly lines that mean "approximately".

I'm not on the net enough.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, you're not, Missy! I think you should just ignore work and real life (well, not so much maybe) and be here! ;-)

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
...which said something different that what you’d implied when you said...

Prior to my posting, there was an IMPLIED fact that ALL lions NEVER share. That further down in the article I referenced it says that SOME lions OCCASSIONALLY don't share is not salient to my point that lions DO share.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Old folksong:
All lions NEVER share, NEVER share, NEVER share,
All lions NEVER share, (or sometimes, or often)
THEY JUST fade away.

[I know it's silly but that old melody jumped up)(>_<)]

Last edited by BranShea; 01/13/08 02:07 PM.
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Originally Posted By: Myridon
...which said something different that what you’d implied when you said...

Prior to my posting, there was an IMPLIED fact that ALL lions NEVER share. That further down in the article I referenced it says that SOME lions OCCASSIONALLY don't share is not salient to my point that lions DO share.

But that's just it, Myridon.

We can't say lions DO share any more than they DON'T share. We can definitely say they SOMETIMES share, but saying that they DO implies that it is the way the will always act, which isn't the case.

Do you see what I mean?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

We can't say lions DO share any more than they DON'T share. We can definitely say they SOMETIMES share, but saying that they DO implies that it is the way the will always act, which isn't the case.

Do you see what I mean?

I disagree. DON'T is always. DO isn't. If my lovely wife says I don't buy butter when I go to the store I say that I did last week. And, to compare a lion in a pride situation where he has a bunch of women-folk doing most of his hunting for him with a lone lion or one in a band of prideless males leads to conflicting results. The head of pride male isn't going to have a pride for very long if he doesn't share. If nothing else, everyone else in the pride will starve. A male in a band of males can let them go off and form their own band or kill their own zebra and do their own hogging.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Can you explain what you mean by DON'T being always and DO not? If DON'T is definitive, why would DO not be? I don't understand that part.

=====================

Back to the lions...

If you are going to make a statement about lions, you can't eliminate the part of their living situation that doesn't fit your equation.

There may be less male lions overall since they have to fend for themselves, and consequently, unless they form a bond with another male lion, do not have the extra safety and food afforded by a male with a pride BUT pride-free lions are part and parcel of the overall lion existance, and pride-free lions don't share, so you can't say lions do share. You can say lions sometimes share, or lions most often share, but not that they DO and make it sound like it is an all-the-time thing.

If you insist on using the word do, then you have to add a modifier.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, then say DO and don't make it sound like an all-the-time thing. I mean when you DO something you don't have to do it all the time. If you don't do something and then suddenly do it anyway, then you don't don't do it all the time so you can't say that you don't do it.

I DO go to work, but I don't spend 100% of my time going to work and I rarely do it at all on weekends, but it's still something that I do. I even don't do it sometimes on regular work days. I DON'T jump out of tenth story windows. I never have jumped out of a tenth story window. I spend 100% of my time not jumping out of tenth story windows. If I were ever to jump out of a tenth story window it would no longer be the case that I DON'T jump out of tenth story windows. Capisce?

T
veteran
veteran
T
My, my, my, faldage, you do go on, don't you.

Do I care? No, I don't care, but that doesn't mean that I doesn't care all the time, it's just that I don't care this time.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith