Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh yes, it's not just the schools.. schools are social institutions that reflect the zeitgeist.

I went to school before TV was so pervasive. and at a time (a dark time!) when mothers were discouraged from working out of the home (and when it was economically possible to support a family (a large family!) on a single paycheck and 40 to 44 hours salary.

and i came from a culture that valued education --and reading,and the arts. (it was a struggle for my parents to afford school tuition.. my father brown bagged his lunch, and took a thermos of tea to work (so he didn't have to buy a cup of take out) all so the family could afford the schools.

this kind of commitment to schooling is factor--

in the 1950's things were different.. (in good ways, and in bad ways, too!)

and there was an element of luck.. my parents moved to a neighborhood they could afford.. and the neighboord catholic parish school waa lucky enough to have a Teaching order (and well educated nuns)

(not all nuns who are teachers are well educated..most states do not require parochial school teachers to meet the same standards as public school teachers!--and many a catholic school nun has no more than a HS education!)

and (getting border line political) there was a different attitude about schools and schooling (and none of this "zero tolerance crap' that expects a level of perfection from kids that adults couldn't meet!)

There is change too, in teachers.

when i was a kid, teaching, like nursing (and even being a doctor or lawyer) was considered (or at least presented to us) as a vocation.. something you were called to. not a job, but a way of life.

there were other vocations (religious life was one vocation we were always stressed to consider!) --some people had jobs, but lucky people had a calling .

and this didn't mean forgoing financial rewards (no one thought doctors were poor!) but it was a different attitude.

many of my teachers were nuns, but not all of them.. and some were quite well off, but taught because it filled a need in them. (the art teacher came to our school in a car with a driver! she didn't have to teach.. she wanted to--

that idea, that you would teach for the love of teaching, for the love of your subject, for the love of children was a factor.

I know there are still teacher out there who teach because they too, have a vocation. (god knows they don't chose to teach to get rich!) but for many, (or so it seems) it is a good civil service job.. good hours, summers off...good pension. (a very different set of reasons to become a teacher.)
(my ex became a teacher (in 'title 1" schools as a way to avoid the draft. he was a good teacher.. but it was a job for him. (and he couldn't wait to quit!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While looking for something else, I googled across a dictionary of prefixes, affixes, and combining forms gotten from Merriam-Webster's: (caution) PDF.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
OP Offline
Thank you VERY much for that. I ran across a problem with the word "dissolve" last week. The source I'm using now indicates that "solv" is the root, meaning "loosen", and "dis" is the prefix, meaning "opposite". Of course that makes no sense. My Webster's Collegiate Dictionaries at school do not list any but the one meaning for that prefix. Interestingly, my home copy has all six meanings.

Anyway, I recognized a need for an authoritative and thorough list. This certainly fits that bill. Thank you!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're welcome. Glad I could help. (LOL, I just noticed it was a spelling bee company which makes sense.) The prefix dis-, like many in Latin and other inflected languages, has many meanings. In this case, it's one of separation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #172586 01/16/08 02:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AHD has a pretty good rundown of the various meanings of the prefix dis-. They don't seem to have separation per se.

Faldage #172590 01/16/08 03:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey don't seem to have separation per se.

I'll go with apart or asunder. I am not a lexicographer, nor do I play one on TV.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #172593 01/16/08 11:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Etymological fallacies aside, I suppose [f]ree from will do.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith