Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Yes yes, zm, thank you,, but I still need that synonym

Incidentally Erik at a location I'm not sure protocol allows me to identify, maintains that there is no such synonym and that hence we must refer to it only as curtailed link

Last edited by dalehileman; 12/16/07 08:13 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Incidentally Erik at a location I'm not sure protocol allows me to identify, maintains that there is no such synonym and that hence we must refer to it only as curtailed link

I searched on the site, that of which Dahil by protocol cannot speak, but found no such post by Erik saying any such thing. In fact, I noticed on the FAQ he calls a link both a hyperlink and a URL (note that the latter is incorrect as per my posting infra). One of the few uses of the word curtailed was by the Dahil himself. Quoting his Number One Son, no less. Are you sure you're remembering things correctly? If you can find the spare keystrokes, send me a PM with the link in it, and I'll get back to you.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the site we're so merrily avoiding mention of is likely the Wordwizard Clubhouse.

the shortened hyperlink (link) is also sometimes referred to as an abbreviated link. we're sorry that there's no one word to use for it other than link; but there's usually no need to distinguish between a link and a shortened link, except when you get someone posting "long links" which can disrupt a forum. and then you merely need to call attention to the forum's posting toolset, which in our case has a button labeled "Create a link to a webpage" -- note the choice of wording here.

if we were to get into the underlying code or markup of links, this would probably make more (or less) sense, but.

in summary then, a hyperlink is a link is a hotlink is a weblink. YMMV.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the site we're so merrily avoiding mention of is likely the Wordwizard Clubhouse

Yup. I know that, and Dahil knows that, and you know that, and anybody else who cared to could've figured that out. All too well. (And so on and so forth; w00t!) I think he's misremembering a PM from the Erik in question (one of the admins or posters there) as somehow a posting, but then I can't be sure because Dahil lives in an alternate reality that makes Castaneda's look like port and cigars in the library.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
zm: Yes I do find the entire megillah very difficult indeed and envy you fellas all your experience in the art which I too might acquire if only I had that much time left

Perhaps it wasn't Erik but Phil who incidentally is in the last stages of an algorithm rewrap that will simplify even further various functions such as searching. I will find the pertinent post and provide a link

Meanwhile thank your for the coinage "sausage" for truncated link, it's very imaginative and I will do all I can to propagate it

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
zm, thank you again. Alas if I only had the time. Incidentally it was son not grandson, though I am proud to announce the latter is on its way--happy Holiday

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FWIW, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor (with some others) of the Web (i.e., HTTP, HTML) in RFC 1866 Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0 uses the terms link and hyperlink interchangeably. He does not use the term sublink, curtailed link, or sausage.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and, it should be noted, a link is a subset of sausage, not the other way 'round!

-ron o.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thank your for the coinage "sausage" for truncated link

Thanks for that, Dah.

Why don't you just call it a sorry for bubbling this up again and I promise it won't happen too often, Bill Gates conspiratorially curtailed sausage algorithm, and I don't care who knows, and have done with it? (<== the following was a rhetorical question)

When I type sausage, which I pronounce Dahil, I mean get stuffed, as in any old turkey bird.

"Hi, tsu," said Humpty Dumpty after the fall.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
tsu, as that hadn't occurred to me in my 78th year with senility impending, what you have remarked about the sausage is eminently logical and --most happy Holiday Season

dalehileman
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith