Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
veteran
veteran
T
Not so fast, scholars.

Yes, in the glossaries of a latter-day the word "bordes" is rendered as "boards", "tables" and in footnotes, as "games" and "jest".

But how in fact, can we integrate these meanings into Skeleton's poem? Well we can't with any degree of certainty, unless we can discern the use of the modifier "covering".
In today's parlance we cover tables, walls, floors, and bets in games, and when jesting, we cover our butts.

Forsooth, I did not return to this boarde to beat a dead horse.
But never seen I a dead horse beaten with a table.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Forsooth?
My footh!
This horse is deade,
Whyle ye lyke it or neade;
Ye lorde of Alabame,
Take all scolars to shame?

Why so koy and full of skorne?
We all be nobly borne,
And trouthe is all to-torne (well ,just kidding)
Wysdom is laught to skorne.

Last edited by BranShea; 11/29/07 08:58 AM.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I read "Upon her brayne pan" and automatically thought of the medical term brainpan referring to the parts of the skull directly surrounding the brain. Brown would never have occurred to me.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
That's how I read it too. What's more, we still use it just like that. Hersenpan. Hersen is brain, pan = pan. When in class you appeared inattentive a teacher would say : Hey! still something going on in that brainpan?
Did not know it is a medical term. Learn a bit every day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it very well could be brain pan.. i was just making WAG's...

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
To conclude :
Skelton was for many centuries more remembered by the "merry tales" woven around his name than by his poetry.Yet Erasmus, who he met in 1499 wrote of him as being "the only light and glory of English letters". (at the time)

Quote:
It is said that he claimed the woman who bore his children to be 'his wife in the sight of God'.
Marriage in a priest was then a serious crime, but concubinage was tolerated.
This one f.i.:
He was complained of to the Bishop of Norwhich, for ' the unhappy rule 'he kept in his house. He took two capons as a gift, for which he was thanked by the Bishop after having been reproved:
'Skelton sayd: "My lord, my capons have proper names; the one is named Alpha, the other is named Omega: My lorde, sayd Skelton, this capon is named Alpha, thys is the fyrst capon that I did ever geve to you; and this capon is named Omega, and this is the last capon that ever I will give you & so fare you well", sayd Skelton.'

The following sunday, according to the "merry tales", Skelton told the congregation that they were a pack of knaves with foul wives and, holding up his naked child before the people, said: How saye you neibours all? is not this child as fayr as is the best of all yours?
It hath nose , eyes, handes, and feete,as well as any of yours : it is not like a pygge, nor a calfe, nor like no foule nor no monstruous beast.
If I had broughte forthe thys chylde without armes or legges, or that it were deformed, being a monstruous thyng, I would never have blamed you to have complayned to the bishop of me; but to complain without cause, I say, as I said before in my anthem, vos estis, you be,and have be,& wyll and shalll be knaves, to complayne of me without a cause resonable.'

Oh yes, case closed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith