Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#17196 01/31/01 04:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Robertson Davies, one of my favourite authors, has a great bit in one of his books along those same lines...

One uneducated character is claiming that he is actually related to a recently deceased guy, and therefore has claims on his estate, because when his mother was alive she had an affair with this guy, and had the only "organism" of her life - therefore somehow confirming that he was conceived at that moment. The other (real) relatives of the dead guy, when discussing this situation, keep jokingly referring to "organisms" instead of "orgasms" and they realize that they are beginning to use the new word instead! (Now any time I see the word "organism" I smile to myself...)

#17197 01/31/01 05:05 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
OK byb I will try to type the answer to your post.
""if grisly is pronounced like the bear or to rhyme with rice-lee.""

I learned to read and spell using phonics and it seems that it was phased out years ago and is only now making a comeback. SO--- GRISLY rhymes with is-lee (not ice-lee or rice lee) and GRIZZLY rhymes with whiz-lee or fizz-lee.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17198 01/31/01 05:15 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
OK DS, your dad was partly correct by saying its easy. But had he learned phonics----it would have been a breeze for him--- "arm--a--ged--don. )The trick to spelling and pronoucing with phonics is to break the big word down to many little words and every syllable has to have a vowel--but like learning to walk when you are a baby----learning to read, spell and pronounce words with phonics is much easier from the very beginning--from learning "ON" we can then go to "bon, con, don and then to bond, pond, fond etc. (But if I am wrong on this, please don't hesitate to correct me---I am NOT a teacher!!

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17199 01/31/01 05:35 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
reading all these "misled awry" posts, strikes another connection that all of us AWADS have in some form or another----words etc----
"""But then, I pronounce the "t" in often (which my Korean conversation students always gave me hell about), and before I sew a garment, I have to take the wearer's MAY-zhur-ments. """

This is the beauty of listening to each persons accents--or (another person's point of view) (Some can take it--some can't stand it) for instance I think "MAY zhur ments" sounds beautiful but it is actually pronounced "mea (with a short e like in men and silent a)---hence "mea - sure - ments.

Therefore, I think that since the rest of the world is learning English starting in 5th grade---we in the USA should make it mandatory to learn another language starting in 5th and continuing til 12th---What a great world this would be!!!!(More compassionate, literate, and understanding, etc) Anyone agree with me????

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17200 01/31/01 05:50 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
CRICKET---brings to mind my German exchange student last year, an extremely intelligent young man, who learned to read and speak Hungarian at age 5, pronouncing crooked as "cricket" I did tell him the correct pronounciation but somehow it never stuck, and saying "cricket" for "crooked" just melted my heart every time.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17201 01/31/01 07:40 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Therefore, I think that since the rest of the world is learning English starting in 5th grade---we in the USA should make it mandatory to learn another language starting in 5th and continuing til 12th---What a great world this would be!!!!(More compassionate, literate, and understanding, etc) Anyone agree with me????

Indubitably. At high school, one of my classmates was a new immigrant from Finland, where she said that they had to learn English, Finnish, Russian, and Swedish, and were also obliged to choose two other languages from a list of options. Hptelingual she may have been, but she hated the English pronunciation of sauna. She simply could not help herself - every time she heard "sawna", she would respond "it's sow(female pig)na", much as I now find myself doing with Braun and Audi.

#17202 01/31/01 08:11 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
[Max] Your classmate in High school gets a trophy. Learning Russian, Swedish, English and her own native language---Finnish-as a young high schooler was not easy/ For most people this attempt would be equivalent to attempting to climb Mount Everest. I had just read where the Hungarian Language was so difficult, they were going to abolish it. But did not because it is soooo unique and not other language is like it, except Finnish---which really is not exactly like it---but sort of related. And then there is the Russian Alphabet---totally unique. So I would forgive her for pronouncing sau - na the same as Braun and Audi. I am learning German, while the grammar structure is difficult, and sentence structure even more so---the pronunciation is much easier than English.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17203 01/31/01 08:20 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
How did we go from Hors d'oevres to Horse Ovaries, and then from organisms to orgasms and may I add another one? How about condominiums and condoms. Somehow when reading, it is difficult to separate them!!!! Oh and I just thought of another one---my 10 year old has "Sax lips" and somehow I am wondering about his future in high school, when the girls see this hunky, built like a brick, blond football player playing a sax. I am not sure they will think "sax lips".!!!???

enthusiast

enthusiast
#17204 01/31/01 08:43 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
>...she said that they had to learn English, Finnish, Russian, and Swedish, and were also obliged to choose two other languages from a list of options. Hptelingual she may have been...

Hptelingual? Do you mean, Max, that she had great language skills, but suffered from dyslexia and innumeracy?

#17205 01/31/01 09:07 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Do you mean, Max, that she had great language skills, but suffered from dyslexia and innumeracy?

Nope. I simply realised that, as tsuwm indicated in one of his replies to a post of mine, y'all expect a profusion of typos in my posts, and so, heptalingual became hptelingual. Oh for an Athlon 1.4GHz with 768 MB RAM and Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred V 5.0 - then my posts might almost be legible!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith