About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I learned this on a quiz site, but is it indeed so?

"Uncopyrightable is the longest word in the English language without repeating a letter."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Uncopyrightable text includes recipes and stitch patterns (for embroidery, crochet, knitting, etc.) No one "owns" the recipe for white bread or single crochet, or garter stitch or cross stitch.

this is one of the reasons why the coca cola recipe is top secret. if it ever got out, the information would be public domain.

(as for uncopyrightable being the longest word in the English language without repeating a letter, i dunno!)

veteran
veteran
"... recipes and stitch patterns ..."
I had no idea. Thanks.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, yeah--Kern's Kitchen has fought strongly to protect its Derby Pie copyright. Other people can make pies out of the same ingredients, but nobody else can call it Derby Pie. Some infringement or other usually makes the paper here every couple of years or so, just prior to the first Saturday in May.

Oh--sorry, Anna; I've heard that about uncopyrightable, too, but don't know where to verify/disprove it.

Last edited by Jackie; 10/10/07 01:46 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Richard Lederer agrees if you limit yourself to 'fairly common words', but watch out for dermatoglyphics.

-joe (ambidextrously) friday

M
addict
addict
M
So patterns and recipes are uncopyrightables? (^_^)
Derby Pie would be a trademark not a copyright.
A secret formula would have to have a patent not a copyright.
I think your recipes and patterns technically would be copyrightable, but all I would have to do is re-write it in a different fashion (paraphrase) to avoid infringement of the copywrite. Copywrite covers the way something is written, not the outcome of absorbing the information. You would like to be able to "copyright" the making of the exact sweater not the exact writing of the pattern for the sweater.
If Coca-cola's formula was patented (and wasn't it originally a "patent medicine"?), it would have expired long ago.

[Edit: yes, i had a spelling malfunction today]

Last edited by Myridon; 10/10/07 06:09 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>uncopywriteables

if you buy uncopywriteable as a noun, I think you must agree that it is 'fairly uncommon'.

-joe ( you frowzy-tingled-humpback ) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Myridon
copywrite

copyWRITE?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in knitting (and crochet, and embroidery) there are stitch patterns (cross stitch, 'stocking knit/stockinette', single crochet.)

the directions for these are pretty simple.. there is a limited number of ways to say 'knit every stitch in the first row, purl every stitch in second row" and copyrighting the words is difficult. (photos, layout, charts, typeface.. these detail go into the copyright protection of a book of knit stitches.. but the words? uncopyrightable.)

like wise a cross stitch (looks like an X not a +) can't be copyrigthed, but directions to make a letter A out of collected cross stitches? copyrighteable!

patterns for garments? even something as simple as a scarf?
Use yarn X, with needles size y, cast on Z
knit every row till--(it is so long, or till you run out of yarn (use 1 ball, or 2 balls, or ...) bind off

that pattern can be copyrighted (and has been!)
change the yarn, change the needle size, change the number of stitches cast on, or the length, and you have a new pattern--

Toll House® Chocolate Morsel Cookies recipes-- (That use the registered trade marked brand of chocolate morsels.) can be copyrighted.

but chocolate chip cookies recipes? public domain!

(this subject comes up frequently on knitting BB's...)

Last edited by of troy; 10/10/07 05:01 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
copyWRITE?

Don't get copywrought about it ...

copyright :- 2.89M ghits
copywrite :- 692K ghits
copywright :- 623K ghits

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 400 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith