Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand

Well AnnaS, I appreciated the birdman story. Here is a poem of sorts that I wrote for my sister (Her name is Ana) Her and a bunch of her bird counting friends were responsible for the survival of the 'Rarotongan flycatcher' or 'Kakerori' endemic to our home island of Rarotonga. They raised the population from 29 in 1990 to several hundred today and have managed to successfully transplant another 10 to a neighbouring island.

Te Akamaramaanga
(The renewal)

Pursued by the perils that lie beneath the canopy of life,
Is my struggle in vain?
Kept alive by the memory of things once lost,
Almost a memory, is my name.

Soaring higher,
Replenished by the memory renewed.
Full of life from the memories to come
My name is Kakerori.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Fine poem, olly, and a deep bow to your splendid sister Ana too.

Butasforyou, AnnaStrophic, let me tell you a story...

I love wordwebs as I love spiderwebs; both can be works of art.
But sometimes a weave of words like a weave of spiderwebs can have an ulterior design that ultimately bites, so as a lover of the two artforms I have learned to be careful.

But asforme, I hate "nonce" art and have come to use a certain technique that freezes the beauty of spiderwebs beyond their season, as follows...

Armed with a can of spray paint and a 12" square of ceramic floor tile I creep through brush and wood until I find a perfect spiderweb glistening glossily in the weak morning sun. Then carefully. slowly, I sneak up on the web and, in a sudden, I spray the web with spray paint. This usually makes the bitch spider mad (like female dogs female spiders are called bitches) and so she usuallly drops down on an excape line to avoid being sprayed.

Now I must hurry. Quickly, but gently, I press the ceramic tile against the paint-wet web and nip the guide lines that support the web face in space. Then quickly I snip the excape line to keep the bitch from climbing back up to the web. This is important because she will maliciously rip up her own labourously constructed web just for spite if she can. After all, the only reason she built her beautiful web was to bite somebody or something (some beautifully crafted wordwebs are set in the same manner).

Then, with luck, I will end up with a one-of-kind spacial painting in three dimension and in fix forever on a ceramic tile that I can display and impress my crafty, artsy, slow witted friends.

Last edited by themilum; 09/13/07 04:46 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: themilum
[T]he only reason she built her beautiful web was to bite somebody or something.

Ah, yes. The love of eating is the root of all evil.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
check here, Milo:

Spider Web Farm

formerly known as etaoin...
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z

hey there's two of'em

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Zed

hey there's two of'em

Better make that three, Zed. My pal Tim King (the bug king) is the master.
He began by handbrush painting spiderwebs which he stuck on the backs
of NO TRESSPASSING signs back in 1973.

What a guy! Tim owns a pest extermination company and is well respected in bug circles. He lives in a log cabin without electricity and is a part time nudist.

Tim has discovered several new species of cave beetles and has one of the largest private collections in the south.

Interesting fact: In beetles differentiation of species is determined by the shape of the male penis. In copulation the male drills directly through the female's tough outer shell (shells vary from species to species in construction and thickness) and so in response to this added difficulty the male penis has become intricately specialized to the point of being species specific.

Some folks think Tim strange because they say he wears a gun when he hunts beetles in caves. He doesn't. He always leaves it at the entrance.

Last edited by themilum; 09/15/07 02:53 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: themilum

Your Communist Pinko NPR report about the good ole Tennesse boy attempting to goad natural species diversity on the Midway Islands has inspired me to report in full to AWAD my conversation during Earthweek this past April with the Father of Diversity, the winner of two Pulitzer prizes, Professor E.O. Wilson of Harvard.

I'll write it up this weekend and post it here in ANIMAL SAFARI or in INFORMATION.

tap... tap... tap...

T
veteran
veteran
T
Ok AnnaStrophic, you can stop tapping now, my story is getting long and I'm tired of writing about me and EO Wilson so I'm gonna stop now and have two tall dixie cups of bourbon and bitters and chocolate milk and then go nighty-night.

If I come home sober tomorrow night after a fossil gathering trip with pal Andy I'll write the ending then.

You don't want a sloppy, drunken, slurred, ending do you?

Last edited by themilum; 09/18/07 02:08 AM.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Bourbon, bitters and chocolate milk?

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Zed
Bourbon, bitters and chocolate milk?

Yes Zed, bitters tone down the sweeetness of the choclate milk. Normally I don't add bitters, I just use a cheap gut-rot whiskey with a harsh bite. but unfortunatly Monday night I found myself out of good whiskey and had to use the expensive stuff instead, so I mixed in a dash of bitters for bite.

Pretty good, pretty good.

Last edited by themilum; 09/19/07 07:44 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith