About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16958 01/27/01 12:48 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In the law, "moot" is a term of art, and a moot issue is one which is not capable of judicial resolution because the controversy no longer presents a matter for which there is a remedy. A court will dismiss a case if the issue it presents is moot. I suspect that the use of "moot point" in everyday parlance stems from the legal meaning.

WARNING: CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT ENSUES. I WOULD HAVE CHOSEN A MORE MUNDANE ILLUSTRATION IF I COULD HAVE THOUGHT OF ONE QUICKLY THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING. BY USE OF THIS ILLUSTRATION, NO POSITION ON THE ISSUE IS SUGGESTED, AND NO DEBATE INVITED. Thank you.

An example of a moot case: a pregnant young girl seeks to have an abortion, and under the laws of the state she must have the consent of her parents to undergo the procedure or must obtain the permission of the court based upon a showing of psychological or medical necessity. The parents refuse consent, and she commences an action in court to obtain judicial approval. Based on the evidence presented, the court determines that there is an insufficient showing of necessity under the statutory standards, and also refuses permission. The girl appeals. While the trial and appellate proceedings have occurred, of course, her pregnancy has progressed, and by the time the appellate court hears the controversy, she has already given birth. At that point, the appellate court is liable to dismiss the appeal on the basis that the issue is moot, ie, no longer capable of remedy because there is no abortion to perform.

#16959 01/27/01 01:22 PM
S
S
Sparteye:
You could just have easily used the Supreme Court's ruling on our recent Presidential election as an example. <insert "ducking for cover" emoticon>

#16960 01/27/01 01:38 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yah. I don't know why I didn't think of that case when mind-surfing for noncontroversial issues.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
jmh -

Interesting isn't it how our language changes before our very eyes (ears?), sometimes so subtlely that we don't notice! My father is still ranting about the "new" verbs - to host and to parent, not to mention what he considers the grammatical disaster of "It's me!" And then, there's that wonderful word - gay. I find it sad that "gay" now carries such baggage for some people that we can essentially no longer use it to mean - light hearted and happy.

Sparteye -
yes, I knew about the Moot Halls and moot court... The Anglo Saxons (of Beowulfian times) met in Moot Halls to hold a "gemot" or "meeting" (cf www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/560-975dooms.html#Glossary). When I was at Pitt (pre-PC days!) the law students there had to argue before a moot court. It was the only time I saw an otherwise cocky law-student housemate have a fit of nerves! Thanks for this little diversion - haven't delved into Anglo-Saxon in years!

S
S
I'm perfectly happy to give up one word out of thousands to give a previously closeted (hmmm... Architecture thread?) group of individuals a rallying point. If I can't use the word 'gay' anymore for it's original meaning, but it makes a large group of people a bit happier and lighter of heart, then they are more than welcome to it.

#16963 01/27/01 07:17 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poster: Solamente, Doug.
I'm perfectly happy to give up one word out of thousands If I can't use the word 'gay' anymore for it's original meaning, but it makes a large group of people a bit happier and lighter of heart, then they are more than welcome to it.

Yes, indeedy, Doug.
Words change, meanings change!
As times change we give up one way of thinking for another.
One can only hope that attitudes will undergo a similar metamorphosis.
wow

#16964 01/27/01 07:44 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
It seems to me that this word is currently going through another change. It obviously still has the "homosexual" meaning, but now, as, I guess, a reference to this, people are calling something that they find unfavorable "gay".

Ex. "I can't believe the principal made a rule against wearing hats in school, that's so gay!"

#16965 01/27/01 08:44 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
>Ex. "I can't believe the principal made a rule against wearing hats in school, that's so gay!"

Thinking about the implications of that usage of "gay" puts me in despair, once again, of the human race.

#16966 01/28/01 03:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thinking about the implications of that usage of "gay" puts me in despair, once again, of the human race.

Thank you, nike, for that sentiment. I have had a couple of well-loved gay friends in my time. Try not to despair, my child--perhaps not in your lifetime, but maybe in your
children's or grandchildren's, we will most of us come to our senses and realize we are all just people.

#16967 01/28/01 05:28 AM
L
L
I read this and thought... I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this. And then tonight I was standing behind my husband when he was talking and he said it, I about fell over. It's like I opened the thread and let some evil in my home.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith