Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16948 01/25/01 07:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does anyone find the expression 'My Bad' as a mea culpa admission as annoying as i do? i've been seeing and hearing it withing increasing frequency lately, and i'm wondering about its etymology. (the sad thing is that i've found myself using it a bit, lately... but only when in Rome.)

Do any of you use it? Does it by chance trace its origins to the world of sports? i hear it often on the tennis court.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

old hand
old hand
Yes, Bridget, I am of the same opinion. And by your very definition, "mea culpa" is so much more erudite. I thought that's what tennis courts were for... the refined who can be trusted to wear white. Leave "my bad" for the rugby field. [impishly holding a match to the international tinderbox emoticon]

#16950 01/25/01 09:46 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I have also heard this as "My bag," which I understand less than "My bad" and thus find even more excruciating.

#16951 01/26/01 01:58 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I find the expression puzzling; why not simply say "my mistake?"

I first heard "my bad" from my step-son when he was about 9. Seems he had been using that expression for quite a while (he is 15 now) and was even encouraged to use it. I gathered he had invented the phrase himself. I don't think he's the source of current wide-spread use of it, though. He doesn't get around _that_ much and neither rugby nor tennis is his bag.

(I love it. The spell-checker seems to think that "rugby" should be "rugged.")

#16952 01/26/01 05:00 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
nikeblack observed that The spell-checker seems to think that "rugby" should be "rugged."

And, for once, Ænigma is absolutely right! Rugby should be rugged, and many here in NZ feel that a loss of ruggedness has contributed to the downfall of the national Godhead.

#16953 01/26/01 06:44 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Belonging to the infamous generation from which these terms appear to come I don't think "my bad" and "my bag" are the same. My bad, as you have pointed out, means "my mistake". I really don't know where it came from. But "my bag" means, as far as I know, "something I like" or "something with which I'm associated." In the movie Austin Powers, when Austin arrives in the present after being cryogenically frozen he is given a box of his belongings. Contained therein is a Swedish [you know what] Enlarger. Somewhat flustered, Austin tells his new partner, a young lady of the '90s, that it's "not my bag, baby." Austin is supposed to be from the 1960's so I would say that "my bag" was a '60s UK term.

#16954 01/26/01 07:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JazzO comments: Austin is supposed to be from the 1960's so I would say that "my bag" was a '60s UK term.

Quite right. The phrase was a small brick in the structure of the Hippie Culture. Well, except for the UK part. It was in common use in the States, too.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I was treadling away on some dreary machine at the gym and thinking about Bridget's dislike of "my bad." A phrase I _really_ hate came to mind, to wit, "it's a mute point." Drives me up the wall when ostensibly well-educated colleagues of mine use that phrase in a discussion. One of these days...

But, it got me to thinking, what about "it's a moot point?" I use that sometimes and am I using it correctly, I thinks. Off to the dictionaries. First my steadfast Oxford Universal Dictionary (1933, 1956) (takes up less shelf space than the OED) - moot = debatable, doubtful, undecided (among other things.) Next: my 1973 Webster's New Collegiate does have an added def. "deprived of practical significance..." So, in current American usage I seem to use "moot point" correctly, as in, "this point is unimportant in this discussion." Was curious then to see what one of our older dictionaries (husband's collection) had to say on the matter:
1943 Collegiate - "debatable"
1936 Webster's Universal Unabridged - "debatable"
1956 The Volume Library - "debatable"
Essentially, they all followed the Oxford's lead.

So, sometime between 1956 and 1973 we, Americans at least, acknowledged that we were using "moot" to mean "of no significance in this discussion."

Wow, glad I cleared that up. ;-) Hmm, may be time to go get the newest new dictionary...

Aenigma seems to think that OED should be Oedipal.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"it's a mute point" is my pet peeve #37 (I think, I seem to have lost track ;) -- and you're right, it's only the pseudo-educated who would even think of using this.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>So, sometime between 1956 and 1973 we, Americans at least, acknowledged that we were using "moot" to mean "of no significance in this discussion."

It looks like I must have been misunderstanding people for years then, i was only aware of the pre- 1956 definition (and i'm not that old!).

There are lots of Moot Halls in English towns. I assume that they were built for debating and contribute towards the use of the term "moot point".
Here's a couple:
http://www.btinternet.com/~lake.district/kes/kestic.htm
http://www.bedford.gov.uk/bedford/tic/john bunyan moot hall.htm
- put the words "moot hall" into Google to find others.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith