Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
AnnaStrophic #168947 06/29/07 02:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic

To be a true pedant, you need decades of knowledge to fall back on. And then you're still gonna be obnoxious.

An erudite former member of this board, one NicholasW, described himself in his profile as "a precisian". When I asked him why, he said that it was because "pedant" carried an implicit suggestion of one who was a stickler for details but who was often incorrect. Such a definition certainly did not fit NicholasW.

Logwood #168948 06/29/07 02:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Logwood
That's why the English we spoke 1000 years ago didn't sound anything at all like the language we speak now.

Who's the "we", kemosabe? And how in Knut's name have you managed to hang around speaking English for the last 1000 years?

AnnaStrophic #168949 06/29/07 02:44 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
To be a true pedant, you need decades of knowledge to fall back on. And then you're still gonna be obnoxious.

[thread jack]

Anna your above comment reminds me of a behind-the-scenes thing I saw once about the show "Seinfeld." There was a line that Jerry had to speak that was "Are you gonna do it?" He kept saying it and it wasn't funny. He tried stressing different words. "Are you gonna do it? Are you gonna do it? Are you gonna do it? Are you gonna do it?" But it still wasn't funny. But when he said "Are you gonna do it?" it was funny.

Not sure what hell that has to do with anything, but...

[/thread jack]

Alex Williams #168953 06/29/07 07:24 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
To the smartass up above with the unpronounceable nickname, the answer is "humans".

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted By: Zed
I have had patients who, because of a stroke, have damage to the language areas of the brain. Note the plural - areas. The receptive and expressive language centers are separate although closely linked.

Not only that, but single features of language ability are distributed over two or more areas, are they not? Part of relearning language for some people, requires (or results in) using parts of the brain not previously used for language. Alas, I have no longer my fine books on speech pathology, but you can tell us, Zed?

Originally Posted By: ChrisMcA

First, what about prelinguistic children?
Second, what of deaf persons, . . . . There are a few such folks around who have grown to adulthood with no language at all (neither sign language nor spoken langauge). . . .

Third, what of polysemy? . . .

Clearly, language can assist thougth, but it is not thought's equal, nor is it even a necessary condition for the acquisition of thought.

Excellent points, ChrisMcA.

Isn't Helen Keller the example par excellence of a Languageless Thinker?

What came first. What came really, really first?
First feelings (emotions), then thoughts, then language.
"Heart, mind and body."

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
You guys should read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or any book by Oliver Sacks! (he's one of my favorite authors.. i've even met him (ok it was a reading/book signing.. but.. it was a small close group (Mus of Nat. History))

Bohemian_Cur #168963 06/30/07 07:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Bohemian_Cur
The evolution of our language now seems to be a decay. Why should "gonna" remain in our language? It is lazy! Damn, I am not afraid of being called a stickler, gonna is utterly stupid. It changes a sentence too much:

Is he leaving tomorrow?

Is he gonna leave tomorrow?

you're not gonna wanna know this, but here it is, as a matter of donkamentation, if nothing else.

'gonna' (as well as 'wanna') can be found in several mainstream dictionaries such as AHD4, Compact OED, Cambridge, Encarta, etc. (per onelook.com)

-joe (I'm jus sayin) friday

tsuwm #168965 06/30/07 08:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
no doubt curmudgeons in the past railed against "god be with you" being shortened into good bye

and where convinced that english was going to hell in a hand basket it that sort of stuff was going to be allowed.

do think there was a time when chitterlings were call chitterlings, and not chit'lins?

was there once a name Saint John, (before it became Syngen?)

i remember in my lifetime, telephone--who says telephone any more? its phone( both noun and verb!) and cel phone.

i still speak of dialing, but its been 20 years since i owned a phone with a dial. (my cel has touch screen, not even a (numeric) pad)(no its not an i-phone)

language is imprecise.. it carry relics, and it sprouts new words for new idea, new situations. i'm gunna, (like gonna but more gutteral,--closer i think to how most say the word) sign off now!

of troy #168966 06/30/07 11:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: of troy
no doubt curmudgeons in the past railed against
was there once a name Saint John, (before it became Syngen?)

What do you mean "was there once"? There still is. Not only is the surname still spelled "Saint John", there are still people with that name who pronounce it "Saint John". I have yet to see the surname spelled as "Syngen".

Last edited by sjmaxq; 06/30/07 11:01 PM.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith