Next Thread
Print Thread
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Would like to discuss about such words.
In many cases the correct word may be different in different languages but the word used in speaking may sound similar.
Best example would be "Mother"
coomon words used in many languages
"Ma", "Amma" ( in mny mother toungue- Malayalam), Mom, Madre ( Spanish) all looks similar.
I would like to discuss how such similarities come in, may be with more examples.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The similarity of words for mother in languages not usually thought of as historically closely related, such as Malayalm (and other Dravidian languages, Tamil, Kannada, Telegu) and Indo-European languages (such as English, Latin, Sanskrit, Russian, etc.), is that there is something about labiality sounds such as m, p, and b are bilabials) and suckling. (Please note that I am not advocating this position, just reporting it.) An exception in Hindi is maamaa 'maternal uncle'.

An important and, to my mind, true quality of languages in general is the arbitrary nature of the relationship between a word and the concept underlying it (or if you will, the thing to which it refers). Saussure was the first to state this.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
An important and, to my mind, true quality of languages in general is the arbitrary nature of the relationship between a word and the concept underlying it
Agreed, for the vast majority of cases. Since many word roots can be traced very far back, this historical aspect often tends to veil the essential arbitrariness. Persistence of a tradition appears as connection to the "thing itself".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: wsieber
... Since many word roots can be traced very far back, this historical aspect often tends to veil the essential arbitrariness. Persistence of a tradition appears as connection to the "thing itself".

Ding an sich!

Thanks, Herr Weissbier, for the reminder of this oh-so-useful term and your kindness in posting it in English.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
noumenon

-joe (thingy) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
or it just could be, as babies babble their first sounds tend to be ma, ma ma, , and da, da, da, (and ba, ba, ba,)

and words with theses sounds became associalted with parents, baby, breast.

eventually kids learn to actually say words, (and their first words are usually titles/names for caretakers, themselves, and food, and sources of pleasure, (unless they are unusual!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Check out this pdf on mama and papa words across many languages or this page on cross language coincidences in general.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Thanks for that post. Actually though i was not sure I was thinking about a possible ancestral language. But After reading that article, it seems to be less logical and "babbling" looks to be a better explanation.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, neff. A rather goodly rundown on the sitch. I'll ensconce that link amongst my faves.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nice list! this page

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith