Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167422 04/08/07 06:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Fictionary animal hunt.
All dictionary words, some of them may be known through mythology-/ litterature, some may just live around the corner or be haunting us in primaeval nightmares.

What's what and where from without looking up. (cheating not checked in this one) Asking family , friends and neighbours is fine. If they know the right answer you can reward them with leftover Easter eggs , almond-paste petit-fours and chocolate chipped jackalope coockies.

I hope some or all will be caught. If not I'll give the whats and whereabouts next Sunday. ( I'm on a Sunday - only prescription, as the business was going down rapidly
Happy Easter all.
(This is not a hogwash, evidently , definitly not, just a little hunt )

The creatures :

1. Jackalope
2. Ethon
3. Grendel------------------------------- Caught
4. Hodag------------- Caught!
5. Fenrir -------close
6. Arachne-------close
7. Naga

Last edited by BranShea; 04/09/07 11:56 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Ooo, ooo, I got one, BranShea!

Hodag: an elusive shy troglodyte who lives in American caves.

Although hodag searches are routine events in caving circles, the only authenticated sightings have been made around campfires late at night, usually after the Jack Daniels bottles are all empty. I've seen several and some of them look like my side-kick Andy.

Last edited by themilum; 04/08/07 06:48 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know jackalopes aren't fictional; I've seen a mounted head of a jackalope. It's an antlered rabbit.

Grendel was the ill-defined antagonist of the Beowulf poem.

Fenrir is something from Norse mythology; a dog, I think.

Arachne was the eponymous spider.

journeyman
journeyman
Fenrir was the wolf of the apocalypse, with a mouth the approximate size of the span from ground to tipitty-tops of sky. Naga are hostile fish-men, and jackalopes are jackal antelopes, being very fast and very jackal-y.

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

musick #167550 04/15/07 06:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Facts

1. Jackalope
(Carnivora Lepus Anteoculae) is a fictitious cross between a jackrabbit and an antelope (or sometimes a goat or deer), and is usually portrayed as a rabbit with antlers. It is also called the called the Antelabbit or "horny bunny". Contrived mounted heads of jackalopes may be for sale in some novelty stores, particularly in the American West and great plains and on the www; postcards with faked photos showing jackalopes are also published. The jackalope story is sometimes used by locals in these areas to play tricks on tourists.

2. Ethon was the eagle that pecked at Prometheus' liver every day as punishment for stealing fire from the gods.

3. Grendel A superhuman monster slain by Beowulf, in the Anglo-Saxon romance of that title. (See Turner's abridgement.). Indeed ill defined but a great devourer of men.

4 Hodag/ Cave Hodag
The smallest hodag of all, the cave hodag seems to be a slight modification or evolutionary successor of the sidehill dodge hodag, with at least three glowing eyes to enable it to see in the dark.It has been spotted across a considerable range of the United States, with sightings in Virginia, Tenessee,Kentucky and the in Missouri In these states, it is limited to areas with caves present, typically those with limstone formations. There are also rumours of possible sightings in the Pyrenee Mountains in Europe.It has been suggested that the sidehill dodge hodag may have retreated to the caves to escape encroaching civilization or logging, perhaps also explaining its migration to these other areas.

5. Fenrir . (Norse mythology) an enormous wolf that was fathered by Loki and that killed Odin

6. Arachne was a woman from Greek mythology. She was a fine weaver who began claiming that her skill was greater than Athena's, the goddess of weaving (among other responsibilities).
Athena was angered, but gave Arachne a chance to redeem herself. Assuming the form of an old woman, she warned Arachne not to offend the gods. Arachne scoffed and wished for a weaving contest, so she could prove her skill. Athena dropped her disguise and the contest began.
Athena wove the scene of her victory over Poseidon that inspired the people of Athens to name their city for her. Arachne's tapestry featured Zeus: Zeus being unfaithful with Leda, Zeus being unfaithful with Europa, Zeus being unfaithful with Danae.
Even Athena admitted that Arachne's work was flawless, but was outraged at Arachne's disrespectful choice of subjects. Finally losing her temper, Athena destroyed her tapestry and loom, and struck Arachne on the head. Arachne realized her folly and was crushed with shame. She ran off and hanged herself.
Athena took pity on Arachne. Sprinkling her with the juices of aconite, Athena resurrected her as a spider.

7. Nāga Nāga is the Sanskrit and Pali word for a deity or class of entity or being, taking the form of a very large snake, found in Hinduism and Buddhism The use of the term nāga is often ambiguous, as the word may also refer, in similar contexts, to one of several human tribes known as or nicknamed "Nāgas"; to elephants; and to ordinary snakes, particularly the King Cobra and the Indian Cobra, the latter of which is still called nāg in Hindi and other languages of India. A female nāga is a nāgī.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Snaskrit nāga means 'snake' generically or 'cobra' specifically and nāgi is the feminine form. I have a colleague who is from Nāgapur 'snake town': pura 'fortress, castle, city, town' (as in Siṃhapura 'lion town', siṃha 'lion' > Malay singa) is cognate with Greek πολις (polis as in Neapolis 'Naples' i.e., New Town).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, Nunc. How's that ṃ pronounced?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How's that ṃ pronounced?

The anusvāra in this case is pronounced like a velar nasal /ŋ/ after a short vowel and before an h.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: branShea
A female nāga is a nāgī.

Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Snaskrit nāga means 'snake' generically or 'cobra' specifically and nāgi is the feminine form

Ah yes, zmjezhd, I don't speak Snaskrit, but your repetitious elaboration, I'm sure, pleases all the Snaskritians, wherever they may speak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith