#167323 04/04/07 11:15 PM
I
ianb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I

Connectorgram?

Can somebody tell me if the following type of wordplay is original? I can’t find anyone who can put a name to it, and this is odd, as the guidelines do seem to be fairly simple in nature.

In its simplest form, each word starts by repeating the preceding letter, or any group of immediately preceding letters, treating them consecutively. Naturally, the starting word of a sentence is exempt from this rule, although “circularity” can occur where the last letter/s of the sentence are the same as those at the start of the sentence.
In a second, less direct form , ‘umbrella’ or ‘bridging’ words are broken down into smaller components, and the usual connectivity requirements (for that section of the sentence) don’t apply.

It sounds complex when it has to be defined, but some examples make it clearer.
(1) and (2) are simple forms, whereas (3) uses bridging words.

(1) Young greens ensure regularity.

(2) ‘Music can nullify your urges savage, gestures strange, anger rabid. Ideally, you oughtn’t try your rap prattle, lest the theme’s staccato atonic cadence encourage rage’.

(3) (You may have to imagine your own grid for this, as it seems it’s not going to display properly)

M O T H E R
T H E R E S A
T H E R E S
A
S A I N T
I N
T H E R E

When the compressed envelope of letters ‘Motheresainthere’ was able to be expanded to read -
(3)‘Mother Theresa – there’s a saint in there!’, then “concertinagram” seemed quite an apt name,
and following AWAD’s recent ‘orihonogram’ that was also considered.
However, because the connection via repetition of letters was the main feature, I’ve stuck with the simpler name of “Connectorgram”.

If this type of word play is original, then I hereby christen it; if it’s not, then I’d like to present these examples of whatever it’s called, and encourage anyone out there who wants to spend a sleepless night or two to visit my blogsite ~ http://wordplay.blogstream.com ~ for more detailed explanations.

Cheers Ian Birchley ( ibbirchley@optusnet.com.au ) ============================================================

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Hi Ian
1&2 are interesting but I really had to focus on #3. I'm not even going to attempt it on cold medication but I'd love to see someone more ao the ball than me come up with another.
Anyone?

Last edited by Zed; 04/05/07 12:49 AM.
I
ianb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Hi Zed,
Welcome to the first visitor!
Re "Mother Theresa..."
You really need to print those separate lines into a grid so that the same letters fall into the same column, and you'll see that the words are connected not so much by their last letter or letters, but by a group of bridging letters, taken consecutively.
Unfortunately, in posting this, the letters wouldn't behave, and switching to a fancier format only made things worse.
Did you go to http://wordplay.blogstream.com ?
I found that I couldn't get it up via one search engine, but got it through Google.
The layout appears better there, and there is more detailed explanation.
Re coming up with another, I have oodles, but didn't want to
colour anyone's thought processes.
Hope your cold gets better and that it is not transmissible by internet.
Have a go, you'll be surprised how the sentences develop.
Cheers, Ian Birchley (ibbirchley@optusnet.com.au)

Last edited by ianb; 04/05/07 10:49 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
All you would need to do, then, is view the letters in a monospace font, such as Courier.

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Which you can force by using the code tag:

Code:
M O T H E R
    T H E R E S A
    T H E R E S 
                A
              S A I N T
                  I N
                      T H E R E

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
which would be even more clever if there actually was a "SAINT" in MOTHER THERESA (missing the IN)

-ron o.

I
ianb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Thanks Faldage...I'll try to amend the post to that layout after Easter. Cheers Ian

I
ianb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Sorry Faldage. After eating all my Easter Eggs, I find I'm unable to alter my post - becuse I've just discovered the rule that ..."Users can edit their own posts up to 3600 minutes after they are made. Where the change is substantial, it is courteous mark the post as edited so as to alert readers to the changed content. For cosmetic changes, it's better not to do so".Cheers Ian B

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith