Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Hi! I cannot find this word in the archives, but I know it was part of Word-A-Day in the past 2-3 years. A very loose definition would be "Bringing notice to a topic or issue by stating that you are going to ignore it." Such as, "We're not going to talk today about the fact that the company has nearly gone bankrupt during his tenure." Or, "I'm not going to mention the dishonesty and deceitfulness of the other candidate."

I've been trying to find this word for six months now. Can anyone help?!?!

Thank you!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
apophasis
a figure of speech which alludes to something specific by denying that it will be mentioned (e.g., "I won't mention the fact that Representative Smith has been supporting three children from adulterous relationships.") [compare paraleipsis]

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Seriously tsuwm, I am in awe, and admiration, of your memory.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Wow! Thanks Joe for the immediate reply. You are really good. I've looked it up now and am a bit confused between usage of apophasis and paralipsis. Any thoughts on the difference?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
According to Silva Rhetoricae apophasis is the rejecting of several reasons for doing or not doing something and choosing only one. The word you're looking for really is paralipsis.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have paraleipsis as:
a figure of speech which implies something more serious by deliberately concise treatment (also written as paralepsis) (e.g. "I don't have time to mention Representative Jones's other faults.") [compare apophasis]

now I'll have to re-research them to see if I might have reversed them..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think anybody really understands these tropes..

M-W has paraleipsis:
[from Greek paraleipsis neglect, omission] passing over with brief mention in order to emphasize rhetorically the suggestiveness of what is omitted - brief mention

and apophesis:
[from Greek, denial, negation] the raising of an issue by claiming not to mention it (as in "we won't discuss his past crimes") - claiming not to mention

edit: actually, we've discussed these here before -- I'd forgotten I'd pulled a Jesse S. quote:

The most important thing in any discussion like this is the fact that most rhetorical terms aren't defined quite as precisely as one would want or expect. I've always been interested by them, and I remember in college going to a professor of mine, the chairman of the classics department, to ask about some subtle distinction between two terms, and he basically laughed and said that it was completely irrelevant.

That said, in _my_ understanding, _apophasis_ is actually saying something specific while denying that you are going talk about it (e.g. "I won't mention the fact that Representative Smith has been supporting three children from adulterous relationships"), while _paralipsis_ (in various spellings, or _pr(a)eteritio(n),_ which is the same thing with a totally different name_) is the implication of something more serious by deliberately concise treatment (e.g. "I don't have time to mention Representative Jones's other faults.")

Last edited by tsuwm; 03/19/07 04:04 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have found that Silva Rhet often disagrees with other sources.

stranger
stranger
Well I for one am not all that impressed with his memory. I won't even mention how it took him five minutes to look it up. And don't even get me started on his preterition. ;-)

Last edited by BobSteinVisiBone; 03/19/07 02:10 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pretty good, Bob--welcome aBoard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith